Going through the airport with my gear for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelican case is one of the most likely to get stolen kinds of bags. Get a cheaper non-descript carry-on for your valuable/delicate stuff. Leave the pig sticker at home.
I only use a pelican case for my CCR (rEvo) since I agree. I know some will take the rEvo as their carryon, I just can’t do that with my back. So it goes in a pelican case with a AirTag and a separate insurance policy lol. They are also ungainly to store/lug around.

In your carryon I would put all the scuba stuff you can in easily reachable or with the ability to be removed easily. I almost get asked to open my luggage for them to look at the regulators. So now I just preemptively remove them and splay the bag open in a tray so they can just look and go oh okay carry on.

Ditch the knives unless you are going to a SeaHunt fan convention or underwater knife fighting training course.

I didn’t see one so I’d recommend a mesh bag of some sort since hard sided cases are frequently not welcome on dive boats.

I prioritize my carry-on based on what I would least like to rent. What I actually carry-on varies from trip to trip. From most likely to carry-on to not:
  1. computer
    1. a camera if I had one (maybe even before the computer)
  2. mask
  3. regulators
  4. lights
  5. fins
  6. etc.

I agree in principle. The list I think is subjective. I always say bring things you know you have a hard time getting fit correctly. I have a hell of a time with masks, but wife does with boots/fins. So we each prioritize them differently.

Hi everyone! Rookie diver here :happywave: , not long ago AOWD certified.

I decided to get a hard case, so I can group my gear easily (picture below). I travel to Malta in two days, and I've never been through customs with something like this... This will fly in my checked luggage. I was wondering: did you ever had any issues transporting this kind of equipment? Maybe the question sounds silly, yet I wonder what will happen during check in, when I get asked if I'm carrying knives, and I have to mention my scuba knife.

Any input and experiences is greatly appreciated :)

View attachment 791309
The BFK is ridiculous.......until you hurt yourself.

Update about the flight: I didn't even got asked if I was carrying sharp things. My bad didn't get open.

About the case: I've seen many coments about it... It's not a Pelican case, it's worth ~20ish euros. I had some free space in my checked luggage, so it didn't look like a terrible idea... But we'll see. Maybe in the future I'll end up using a duffel bag.

Update about the flight: I didn't even got asked if I was carrying sharp things. My bad didn't get open.

About the case: I've seen many coments about it... It's not a Pelican case, it's worth ~20ish euros. I had some free space in my checked luggage, so it didn't look like a terrible idea... But we'll see. Maybe in the future I'll end up using a duffel bag.
The reason for not using that type of case, for me at least, is the weight. There is also a lot of wasted Space.
with a take apart b/c and fins I can get everything into a carry on including a thin wetsuit and a change of clothes
IMG_8043.jpeg
IMG_8044.jpeg
IMG_8045.jpeg
IMG_8046.jpeg

no knife though just a line cutter.

In my carry on goes regulators, computers, mask, Gloves (to cushion the mask).
With the people running the scanners, I would get about a 40-60 split Between those who looked at The image on the screen, ask “dive gear?" and when I said yes, wave me through. The majority of the time however, my carry on would get a hand search. Of course they almost never knew how to repack the bag.

Quick story, somewhat funny: one particularly “efficient” agent, during the hand search, held up my dive computer and asked me what it was. I said “it's my dive computer”.
He said “ok turn it on and show me".
I turned it on and it went through its diagnostic countdown“ 10, 9, ....."
The agent turned pale, and looked to be near panic. The supervisor, who was standing next to us, looked at the computer shook his head and said, as he handed it back to me to me "have a nice trip."
Good luck with your trip

Hi everyone! Rookie diver here :happywave: , not long ago AOWD certified.

I decided to get a hard case, so I can group my gear easily (picture below). I travel to Malta in two days, and I've never been through customs with something like this... This will fly in my checked luggage. I was wondering: did you ever had any issues transporting this kind of equipment? Maybe the question sounds silly, yet I wonder what will happen during check in, when I get asked if I'm carrying knives, and I have to mention my scuba knife.

Any input and experiences is greatly appreciated :)

View attachment 791309
Seems like a colossally inefficient (wrt space) way to carry those items? I carry my reg(s), dive computers, lights, primary mask, GoPro, chargers, batteries, tablet, etc., in a carry on backpack. The rest of my gear goes in a Tusa roller duffel. Don’t overthink it - less is more!

Regulators, dive computers, laptop, cameras, batteries, lights, Nitrox analyzer, passport, medication in my carry-on.
The rest gets checked, preferably in a hard case. Non-SCUBA branded goes out the window when you start applying stickers, so I just use a Pelican case with TSA approved locking latches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom