going to australia march 10th to march 19th...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdwrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
i'm very excited... i have three days in sydney and then four days in cairns...

while i've plans for cairns, the great barrier reef... i don't have anything planned for sydney, if i dive at all.

so, some questions:

1) what is the water temp on the outer reef from cairns...? (so i know what to bring)
2) is there good diving in sydney...?
3) if there is good diving in sydney, what / where is recommended...?

thanks,

--c

i was diving a cpl of weeks ago and water temp was 28 deg c

in those conditions i just wear a long sleeved shirt to help with stingers

depending on how long you diving for and how often i would suggest a 3mm long as the most you will need for 4 dives a day 1 hour ea

by march i would expect the temp to maybe drop to 26-7 depending on how much more rain we get

our sydney summer has been very weird this season.

example:

yesterday at Kurnell, beaut sunny day but colder water at 17dec with good 10mtr viz

today, same dive site - raining and windy but warmer water (19C) with good 15mtr viz

Sydney dives i recommend:

Shore: Bare Island (La Peruse)
Shore: Kurnell (Sutherland Shire, aka: gods country to the locals)

do you know where you are planning on staying during your sydney stay yet?

cheers

edit: hahaha, you from las vegas - hubby talks all the time about wanting to dive lake mead! i dont get the attraction :D

very nice, indeed! i'll think i'll bring a 3 mil, then! i'll only be doing a couple of dives a day, but would rather be comfortable... i can do no wetsuit around 29*, but i too want to keep the jelly's and others off. i have a skin suit, too.

thanks,

--c

i'll take lots of pix and post them when i get back...

almitywife:
our sydney summer has been very weird this season.

example:

yesterday at Kurnell, beaut sunny day but colder water at 17dec with good 10mtr viz

today, same dive site, same time - raining and windy but warmer water with good 15mtr viz

Sydney dives i recommend:

Shore: Bare Island (La Peruse)
Shore: Kurnell (Sutherland Shire, aka: gods country to the locals)

cheers

17* will be too cold for only a 3 mil, but am not worried... even if i miss diving in sydney, i still will get to see lots of things. would be nice if i could do at least one shore dive, though. maybe i'll rent a 5 mil for the day... i'll be in sydney with family. not sure if they'll want to be in the water.

are there good night dives from the shore?

--c

things for the family to do while your diving!

Bare Island: while your diving (on sunday) there is usually a guy about 100mtrs away doing a aussie snake show (dont ask me why-he just does) and the bare island fortress (filmed in mission impossible 2) have guided tours (im not sure what time though-would have to check next weekend) plus they can walk around to the cafes and chill why dad gets wet.

topside view of Bare Island:
http://www.diveoz.com.au/directory_sites/site_map.asp?site=149

Kurnell is a national park so they can go for a walk, look for kookaburras and other aussie birds or prepare the bbq as they have these on site also

shore support is always important :wink:

otherwise - a dead simple aussie dive is Shelly Beach in Manly. nice cafe right on the shore (hot chocolate?) and then you can walk around to manly for some tourist stuff.

good night dive... i would suggest bare island BUT dont leave your car unattended.

you could try either sydney dive academy or abyss to see if they do any of these-ive never dived with them but they have a good rep.

i dont know our schdule for 10-19th yet (too far ahead for me but i know oztek is 17-18th March) so as it gets closer and if your interested give me a bell and i'll see if we can meet up for a dive if youre interested

sounds like fun! will drop you a line right before i leave for sydney... (not immediate family so can leave for a dive anytime...)

cheers!

--c

Hi,
Almitywife is write Bare Island is great for day/night dive.
I recomend doing a shore dive (or 2) in Sydney.
What do you like ? Are you taking photos?

When the time come, just send an email. It will be easy to take you there.
Alain
PS: first post on this forum :)

Back
Top Bottom