Going to be in SA next July, want to go GW Cage diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THellURider

Reaction score
I'll be there on Safari and will be spending 4+ days in Capetown before heading into the bush. My father thinks I'm crazy so I have to figure this out on my own. I want to take the oppurtunity to do a 1 day cage dive with Great Whites.

Any reccomendations and tips would be appreciated.

Is this a dry suit situation? I'm guessing it is. It'd probably be best if I could just rent all my gear since I'm already dragging a rifle etc over there.

I did see the thread a few threads down btw. Looking at that website now.

Thanks.

I dived with Marine Dynamics - Andre is very knowledgeble when it comes to GWs and the boat we dived on has a small carrying capacity therefore less people to deal with.

You probably won't be in the water all that long so a drysuit isn't neccessary - I seem to recall that they had wetsuits etc on the boat for clients anyway , if you contact them I'm sure they will help .

Safe Diving

Andrew

Why cage dive, do a shore dive from Muizenberg towards seal Island and experience it first hand........haha.

We just got back yesterday from Cape Town, and we booked a dive charter and great white cage diving through Pisces Divers. They were great, and we highly recommend them for local dives (we used drysuits, but most locals were diving wet with hoods and gloves). If you have an extra day, I would recommend local diving - it was lovely.

The GW viewing we did was actually through Carcharias, in Gaansbai. http://www.carcharias.co.za/
You can book directly through them, and they send a driver to Cape Town for you and take care of all equipment - we did not dive, just did breath holds, and I thought that worked out great - you can't see well in the cage at the surface, and if the vis is not great, you want someone to tell you when to look for the sharks. They would simply tell us when to go "down", and we'd get the camera ready and go. We found them friendly and knowledgeable. We chose not to use dry suits,as the cage was quite narrow, and we were on the surface a lot waiting. We did have many encounters...and afterwards, they took us out to Shark Alley. It was fantastic. We also had one or two people watching from the boat - you could see the sharks quite well from the deck - I got some GREAT footage there - perhaps your dad would be interested in doing that!

That said, our boat was not full - if it had been, it would have been annoying...you might want to check out Andy's recommendation for comparision.

Have a great time - it is beautiful there, and we loved our trip...we are excited to go back in a few years!!

Allison

ShakaZulu:
Why cage dive, do a shore dive from Muizenberg towards seal Island and experience it first hand........haha.

do do a shore dive! seriously - probably not in shakas suggested location but the capetown diving was great. I had a week there - couldn't get out in the cage at all cos the sea was to rough but managed 2 shoredives: 2m cow sharks, small shysharks, catsharks, fur seals, nudibranchs, wrasse - what more could you want?

isurus:
do a shore dive! seriously - probably not in shakas suggested location but the capetown diving was great. I had a week there - couldn't get out in the cage at all cos the sea was to rough but managed 2 shoredives: 2m cow sharks, small shysharks, catsharks, fur seals, nudibranchs, wrasse - what more could you want?

Yes join us for a few shore dives, Pyramid Rock is a great Dive, Seven-Gilled Cow Sharks (+-2-3meter sharks), Spotted Gully Sharks, the list goes on. This with no cage. Also try A-Frame a shallow dive but absolutely awesome with more colour than you could imagine.

Otherwise we have some great deep wrecks in the bay definately worth a boat dive or two. This should still leave some time for shark cage diving.

I've got 1 day...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom