Going to Belize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We stayed on Caye Caulker in March of last year and we loved it. It is alot quieter than Ambergris so it depends on what you are looking for (we had stayed on Ambergris several years ago; it is even more developed now). As far as diving goes, you pretty much go to the same dive sites from both islands.

The best diving we did was out on Turneffe atolls. As others said it is a long boat ride but you do 3 tanks and it includes lunch. Unfortunately, when we went out it was rough seas and a nice, long bumpy ride. Hopefully you'll have it better.

I definitely recommend going out to the atolls if you can. Some of the best diving is out there, IMO. We didn't get to the Blue Hole since no operator was going out while we were there - not enough people signed up. Of course, they went the day we left. Guess we just have to go back.

Enjoy!

How long will you be going?

Late July and early August are the latest that is I recommended in order to avoid a possible Hurricane , especially in Northern Belize.

I like Caye Caulker better than Ambergris for the Blue Hole part -Its also less expensive. However if you like night-life Ambergis has more of it along with better beaches.

Are you on a budget? If so consider staying at the Venus Hotel in Cayo and travel to Tikal for the Mayan Ruins part.

If you have time you might consider busing, driving or flying to Placencia which has good diving and activites there. It is also less subject to hurricanes that Northern Belize.

Going to Belize in August for the first time! Who's been? Would love to hear some stories!
Melissa

If you're going to spend any time inland, are in good shape, don't mind cold water and slippery rocks, and can climb, visit the ATM cave outside of San Ignacio.

+1 on ATM! We spent half a week on Caye Caulker last year and also went to the ATM on the mainland part of the trip. Loved Caye Caulker, but the ATM was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Don't pass it up if you get the chance.

I have lived here in Belize for over ten years now and I have lived out on the cayes for 8 of those years. I have also lived inland in several areas and I am a licenced tour guide. From our resort here in southern Belize we do both diving and inland tours and we often do the Blue Hole run when we have enough people. I think the best diving in Belize is out at Lighthouse Reef (where the Blue Hole is), but the Blue Hole itself doesn't have much in the way of life at the depths where all of the stalactites are. We have another hole inside the main barrier reef closer to us here in southern Belize that we do and it is less deep and has a lot more sea life. At the Blue Hole you are lucky when you see a few sharks but at this hole you are guaranteed to see sharks, schools of jacks, large snappers, and other reef fish and the stalactites are just as cool. I also recommend the South water Caye walls and the walls out at Glover's which are spectacular.

For inland stuff, I would recommend the cave tubing, doing the mountain pine ridge to swim under Big Rock Falls, checking out Xunantunich or Lamanai Mayan ruins, and going up to San Ignacio for the Saturday fruit market to see all kinds of people, vegetables, fruits, and other stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom