Going to college to pursue a career in dive medicine research-any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylee_ann

crazy diver
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hey! so I've recently decided I want to go to school and get into dive medicine/decompression theory research. I've talked to someone who's actually a member of the DAN research team, who said I'd be able to get a job in the field, so that's all well and good. now, though, I'm having trouble deciding on a major. I'm thinking biology with either a biochemistry, cellular/molecular biology or biotechnology concentration. I really don't know where to decide lol. what do you think? or should I choose something different altogether? thanks :)

hey! so I've recently decided I want to go to school and get into dive medicine/decompression theory research. I've talked to someone who's actually a member of the DAN research team, who said I'd be able to get a job in the field, so that's all well and good. now, though, I'm having trouble deciding on a major. I'm thinking biology with either a biochemistry, cellular/molecular biology or biotechnology concentration. I really don't know where to decide lol. what do you think? or should I choose something different altogether? thanks :)
Biochemistry

Don't forget physiology.

You have plenty of time to decide specifics. First couple of semesters are devoted to general education requirements--unless you've already covered these through dual-high-school or AP college credits.

Are you thinking eventual MD-PhD? Some other goal?

rx7diver

Don't forget physiology.

You have plenty of time to decide specifics. First couple of semesters are devoted to general education requirements--unless you've already covered these through dual-high-school or AP college credits.

Are you thinking eventual MD-PhD? Some other goal?

rx7diver
yeah- so the programs I've found have anatomy/physiology courses in them.
from what I've read, i could go bachelor's-Ph.D. so that's what I was imagining, unless it would be wise to get a master's as well. DAN actually has an internship for dive medicine for students too so I want to try to get into that after my freshman year. :)

Biochem is the standard pre-med pathway, at least among the aspiring MDs and DOs I've known.

The MD is a professional doctorate (like a JD or DPharm). The PhD is a research doctorate (usually). So, an MD who pursues research will very often have a PhD, too.

Some schools will offer an accelerated path to an MD. For example, the Univ of Missouri-Kansas City offers a six year BA-MD option--though I don't know whether this program by itself prepares one to do medical research.

However, there are many ways to participate in medical research. For example, you might decide you want to be a lab tech. Something in Health Related Professions offers many options.

Also, a degree in (applied) mathematics can prepare you for mathematical modeling.

If you speak to a college admissions advisor/counselor at a comprehensive university, he/she can help you sort out the possibilities.

It just might turn out the best path for you is an undergraduate education that somehow involves STEM and liberal arts, followed by post-bach education in something more targeted toward your goal in diving medicine research.

Good luck,

rx7diver

Biochem is the standard pre-med pathway, at least among the aspiring MDs and DOs I've known.
Hmmm. I don't think there is a "standard" pathway. One of my brothers had a joint major in Pre-Med and Zoology. And my other brother who ended up a heart surgeon majored in Aeronautical Engineering.

rx7diver

The MD is a professional doctorate (like a JD or DPharm). The PhD is a research doctorate (usually). So, an MD who pursues research will very often have a PhD, too.

Some schools will offer an accelerated path to an MD. For example, the Univ of Missouri-Kansas City offers a six year BA-MD option--though I don't know whether this program by itself prepares one to do medical research.

However, there are many ways to participate in medical research. For example, you might decide you want to be a lab tech. Something in Health Related Professions offers many options.

Also, a degree in (applied) mathematics can prepare you for mathematical modeling.

If you speak to a college admissions advisor/counselor at a comprehensive university, he/she can help you sort out the possibilities.

It just might turn out the best path for you is an undergraduate education that somehow involves STEM and liberal arts, followed by post-bach education in something more targeted toward your goal in diving medicine research.

Good luck,

rx7diver
I'm in love with a couple biochemistry programs. they're research-focused with lots of internships which is so awesome. one of them, you even do national presentations. they do specific internship preparation too. it's so cool :)

another one, the majority of graduates work as research assistants. it's like the 4th most popular

I'm in love with a couple biochemistry programs. they're research-focused with lots of internships which is so awesome. one of them, you even do national presentations. they do specific internship preparation too. it's so cool :)
Sounds excellent!

However, whatever you decide, I strongly recommend leaving yourself options. Many students change direction while pursuing their formal education. IMHO, a successful undergraduate education will introduce students to career possibilities that they never even imagined. Stay surprised at the possibilities.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom