Going to college to pursue a career in dive medicine research-any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More and more, research involves using Big Data and advanced statistics, like Baysian. If you had a double major in (say) bio and math, with lots of computer courses, your resume for med school and grad school and good jobs would stand out. For dive medicine and decompression research, physiology is essential but also being able to work with Big Data and non-trivial statistics is probably even better.
Hm…I found a biology/biotechnology or biochemistry major and a computer science minor- would that work?

Hm…I found a biology/biotechnology or biochemistry major and a computer science minor- would that work?
This should give you a strong foundation even if you decide to change your mind in the future. Good luck!

Whoops, sorry I thought I read that you were considering med school as part of your plan. Indeed, for physiology/deco research, you don't need to go to med school. If research is your primary goal, then doing a Ph.D. would be the best route.

My advice on getting research experience for an application to grad school still stands. Graduate programs are also quite competitive, so getting solid research experience as an undergrad is still really important. I don't know anything about the DAN internships, and if deco research is your interest, then doing one would likely provide real benefits. But, keep in mind that internships are often stints where students are given an already developed project and last for a short period of time. In addition to a DAN internship, find a research lab at your University that you find interesting. Ask to get involved as a freshman, make it your home for your time at University, and learn to do research.

What I mean by "learn to do research" is learn all aspects of it. Doing research includes developing a whole suite of skills that enable you to do an experiment. But it also includes: statistics (as @tursiops said), big data set management, writing manuscripts, writing proposals, dealing with failure, doing literature searches, reading tons of research papers, asking questions, interpreting data, dealing with failure, inventing new tools to answer questions you are interested in, giving public presentations, creating effective data figures, oh, did I mention dealing with failure? I know that failure part sounds negative, but it is a big part of the entire research process. Experiments will fail, manuscripts will get rejected for publication, grants will get denied funding, etc. It's just part of the process and some people don't deal with it well. The last point I'll make about this paragraph is that the skill set you need as a researcher is vast. It's not something you'll learn in a single internship or even degree. These days, a typical path to a research career is: 1) undergrad, 2) Ph.D., 3) 4-6 years of post-doctoral work, 4) job. Numbers 1-3 are all training. For good scientists, #4 continues the learning/training process.

Whoops, sorry I thought I read that you were considering med school as part of your plan. Indeed, for physiology/deco research, you don't need to go to med school. If research is your primary goal, then doing a Ph.D. would be the best route.

My advice on getting research experience for an application to grad school still stands. Graduate programs are also quite competitive, so getting solid research experience as an undergrad is still really important. I don't know anything about the DAN internships, and if deco research is your interest, then doing one would likely provide real benefits. But, keep in mind that internships are often stints where students are given an already developed project and last for a short period of time. In addition to a DAN internship, find a research lab at your University that you find interesting. Ask to get involved as a freshman, make it your home for your time at University, and learn to do research.

What I mean by "learn to do research" is learn all aspects of it. Doing research includes developing a whole suite of skills that enable you to do an experiment. But it also includes: statistics (as @tursiops said), big data set management, writing manuscripts, writing proposals, dealing with failure, doing literature searches, reading tons of research papers, asking questions, interpreting data, dealing with failure, inventing new tools to answer questions you are interested in, giving public presentations, creating effective data figures, oh, did I mention dealing with failure? I know that failure part sounds negative, but it is a big part of the entire research process. Experiments will fail, manuscripts will get rejected for publication, grants will get denied funding, etc. It's just part of the process and some people don't deal with it well. The last point I'll make about this paragraph is that the skill set you need as a researcher is vast. It's not something you'll learn in a single internship or even degree. These days, a typical path to a research career is: 1) undergrad, 2) Ph.D., 3) 4-6 years of post-doctoral work, 4) job. Numbers 1-3 are all training. For good scientists, #4 continues the learning/training process.
all the schools I'm looking at have a ton of research projects. some have students do presentations at national conferences. I'm really trying to find programs that are geared toward students who want to pursue graduate studies and go into research. I think I've managed it...what I'll do is visit the colleges and ask them about all the stuff you said to make sure they have what I need.
thank you! :)

I looked at the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society page, they have a couple virtual conferences and next June is their annual scientific meeting in San Diego. but I'm not really sure they'd let me into that one because I'm not a professional.

They have a free student membership. Never let a little thing like that stand in your way. Get to know people and you would be amazed what doors open to an enthusiastic young person. There are always people that will come across as trying to discourage you but they are almost always trying to help. Take all information in and let it color your understanding.

Giving up is a guaranteed fail even if it tests your will on occasion.

New subjects:​

You probably already know, but academic research (as opposed to government) is often highly dependent on grants. All other things being equal, I would think having course on writing grant proposals on your CV would help. A few successful grant proposals would be even better, even if they are written for a local charity. There are quite a few online grant writing courses.

I recently completed a book suggested by @Duke Dive Medicine written by a woman who was employed by NEDU and was sent to Duke to get her PhD:

In the Waves: My Quest to Solve the Mystery of a Civil War Submarine by Rachel Lance

You might find it insightful into the research world and inspiring.

They have a free student membership. Never let a little thing like that stand in your way. Get to know people and you would be amazed what doors open to an enthusiastic young person. There are always people that will come across as trying to discourage you but they are almost always trying to help. Take all information in and let it color your understanding.

Giving up is a guaranteed fail even if it tests your will on occasion.

New subjects:​

You probably already know, but academic research (as opposed to government) is often highly dependent on grants. All other things being equal, I would think having course on writing grant proposals on your CV would help. A few successful grant proposals would be even better, even if they are written for a local charity. There are quite a few online grant writing courses.

I recently completed a book suggested by @Duke Dive Medicine written by a woman who was employed by NEDU and was sent to Duke to get her PhD:

In the Waves: My Quest to Solve the Mystery of a Civil War Submarine by Rachel Lance

You might find it insightful into the research world and inspiring.
oh that's awesome- I'll definitely have to sign up once I'm in school. and true...there are times I wanted to give up but I didn't, and that's why I am where I am right now! used to be horrible in math until I made myself put in the work- which is why I was able to take advanced chemistry and math.

and okay! I'll have to see if they offer grant writing courses- maybe they'd cover it in another class, not sure. otherwise I'll do an online one. that book seems awesome- will have to buy it. thanks :)

.. in high school, bio and chem were my favorite classes
Reading the space news, we should be traveling to Mars just about the time you get out of school. And decompression will be a HUGE part of building Mars infrastructure and a big researcher salary job market. They say hydrogen biochemical decompression works in tests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom