Going to Cozumel(?) Need some good diving locations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
I wouldn't recommend Columbia, Punta Sur (Devil's Throat), or the C-53 to a new diver on a 12 hour visit.

But I don't know any reputable op that would take a one day diver to those sights anyway without having previously dove with him or having the opportunity to assess his skill level. Furthermore, it's not advisable to do these dives together, as they are all deep.

One correction though, Columbia, like Palancar has many beautiful sections. There is even one section that is a nice ridge that is 60 ft at its deepest and the top is around 40 feet. There is a large sand bar in between this section and "Columbia Deep" and I take OW students there for OW dive 3 usually. The currents are mild and it is a real treat for them.

Although I have taken people to Santa Rosa for their first dive with us, I don't recommend it for a newbie for their first dive.

I would suggest for the one day cruise ship diver...Palancar, Yucab, Tormentos, Paradise, Francesa, Delila Cedral Pass...in no particular order.

Have fun!

Christi:
One correction though, Columbia, like Palancar has many beautiful sections. There is even one section that is a nice ridge that is 60 ft at its deepest and the top is around 40 feet. There is a large sand bar in between this section and "Columbia Deep" and I take OW students there for OW dive 3 usually. The currents are mild and it is a real treat for them.

Of course you are right; when I hear "Colombia" without a further designator, I think "Colombia Deep".

Colin,

If I only had time for one dive, I would vote for any of the Palancar dives personally, but I don't have near as much experience or knowledge as Christi. Be honest with the dive op about your experience level, and what you are looking for. Most will do their best to exceed your expectations

Wristshot

ggunn,

You're right, Devil's Throat would be a no-no f/ a new diver. When I did the C-53, we had a diver doing his 1st OW dive, after his check-out dives. He stayed outside, no penetration.

ScubaCollin,

No worries. You will be able to get in some fantastic dives in a 12 hr. visit. But Coz is so great, I'm not sure 12 weeks would be enough time for me.

one of the best dives to see a lot of sea life period is also a shallow dive called Paradise reef, it's not very far from the international pier and Chancanab Park, less than 30' with lots of fish, turtles if time of year is right. my last dive there we had 4 small nurse sharks swimming with the group.
it's one of my favorite sites on the island because of the fish life, also if you get back sometime for a trip to the island and not a cruise, it's also a great night dive site.

Dive With Martin is one of the best ops on the island and also has some of the cheapest prices! good, well maintained equipment also.
have a great trip, any other good dive stops on the cruise?

the shark

ScubaCollin:
Hey guys, its been awhile since ive posted on these forums. But im going on a cruise and were stopping in cozumel for about 12 hours.

Im a new diver so im not looking into anything very deap. Id like to do some shallow reaf diving. If you have any good locations with reasonable prices and good rental equipment please reply.

My msn is blueflame_88_2000@hotmail.com, you can get ahold of me there also.

Christi:
But I don't know any reputable op that would take a one day diver to those sights anyway without having previously dove with him or having the opportunity to assess his skill level. Furthermore, it's not advisable to do these dives together, as they are all deep.
Umm... I was taken on Columbia Deep when I only had 8 dives under my belt. It scared the bubbles out of me, but I survived. I would not recommend it for someone else in my situation. On the other hand I have never in my life (before or since) seen such beauty.
Christi:
Is that what they call Columbia Shallows? I've heard excellent reports about that dive. Lots of sea life.

Christi:
Although I have taken people to Santa Rosa for their first dive with us, I don't recommend it for a newbie for their first dive.

I would suggest for the one day cruise ship diver...Palancar, Yucab, Tormentos, Paradise, Francesa, Delila Cedral Pass...in no particular order.

Have fun!
I would also put a plug in for Palancar and Paradise for newbie divers.

Jerry

Santa Rosa Wall

The north end of Santa Rosa wall has a great reef with lots of character and lots of swim throughs at about 60'.

I can say for certain though, that two weeks isn't enough time to even check it all out.

By the way are you familiar with drift diving?

I just got back and our first dive the Palancar Cave and Paso del Cedral we saw a 4-5 ft nurse shark, 6-8 barracuda, a spotted ray, a huge turtle, and countless fish. The caves are 80 feet but worth it. I went with two newbies and they had no problems!

You might want to check with the dive shop your cruise ship deals with. If timeconstraints warrant it. Since the boat would be probably be filled with other shipmates they also would be sure you all get back to the ship on time. Booking with the cruise ship will cost you about ten bucks more but it may be worth it

Back
Top Bottom