Going to El Nido!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm so excited! I'm going to be spending the month of March in El Nido--one of the most beautiful places on Earth! I'll be there on business, but I'm taking my gear and plan to do some diving.

I dove and snorkeled there about three years ago, and there was a lot of damage from typhoons, but there were a lot of fish and the corals were coming back. I hope it will be better now.

Have any of you PPDs been there recently? If so, which dive op do you recommend? What dive spots did you really like?

maraming salamat!

now this i want to hear.....

eagerly awaiting any feedback ......

love2godeep:
Have any of you PPDs been there recently? If so, which dive op do you recommend? What dive spots did you really like?

maraming salamat!

love2godeep:
I'm so excited! I'm going to be spending the month of March in El Nido--one of the most beautiful places on Earth! I'll be there on business, but I'm taking my gear and plan to do some diving.

I dove and snorkeled there about three years ago, and there was a lot of damage from typhoons, but there were a lot of fish and the corals were coming back. I hope it will be better now.

maraming salamat!
only been to Busuanga where Coron and Club Paradise are located. Lets see my log.....yes I remember now, schools of trevallies, parrot fish, big map fishes, blue spotted stingrays, Giant Clams, 2 big turtles, a japanese freighter at 100ft. Reefs? Nah, its more like coral heads separated by patch of sand. Its like one pit stop to the other. You go where the drift goes and arrive at each coral head. Very relaxing dives.

Here's a link FWIW, on a long ago dive trip http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/tl/tl012333.htm

love2godeep:

maraming salamat!
now THAT's a job! getting sent to paradise... cool!

don't know all that about el nido diving but from what i had heard from my instructor some time ago (he would DM for the resort every now and then) it's not the greatest philippine diving but it's pretty good overall... but he worked for the el nido resort w/c had its own dive op built in... i don't know if the surrounding area has anything to offer

hope this helps...

Jag

Hi Love,

sorry to say but after the last hurricane that hit the area, the corals in El Nido haven't recovered. It's a low recruitment area, so the coral has been slow to regenerate.

The diving isn't as spectacular as other places here, but it won't be a total let down on diving (see caloy and jag's posts). Besides, El Nido is a beautiful place (diving or not) and it is definitely on my list of places to go.

This is coming from my instructor who used to manage a dive op in the area. I can ask him on a dive op and get back to you.

since ull be in el nido u can always travel to Coron. Enjoy the beaches there. :)

when i went to el nido, i wasn't a diver yet :sigh_2: one of the biggest mistakes of my life... such a shame and a SIN to miss free dives in paradise...

we stayed in miniloc island resort. i had to content myself with snorkeling, racing with their resident jacks (futile attempt, i know) and evading some jellyfish... wonderful, wonderful service... can't forget our dinner in another island and the boat ride going there with all those stars above us :sigh: (daydreaming now, have to stop)

we have grad students here doing their thesis there. good site for coral recruitment studies. look for their plates when you go diving :D

iris_ice:
we have grad students here doing their thesis there. good site for coral recruitment studies. look for their plates when you go diving :D

...on their 4th year of a MSc program and still going... good for coral recruitment??? I remember discussing otherwise with Dr. Yap.

chip104:
...on their 4th year of a MSc program and still going... good for coral recruitment??? I remember discussing otherwise with Dr. Yap.

coral recruitment STUDIES becuase it's not a highly disturbed area. but anyway, it actually took someone 10 years to finish her MSc on that and dr. yap's the expert so... :eek:uttahere

:D

If you've got all that time in El Nido, head on up to Coron and do some of the wrecks there!!! And if there's any way of wrangling 4-5 days off at the end of your business, maybe even to do a liveaboard to Tubattaha which leave from Puerto Princessa.

I see your from the PNW... Wish I was up there right now. Hear the Cascades have been getting tons of snow early this year! Since I've moved out to HK, my snowboarding gear is slowly collecting dust in the closet... [sigh]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom