Going to grand cayman!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on_two_wheels

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's official. Oct 1-8 I'll be viewing things 100 feet away...underwater!! :D All of my diving thus far has been in So Cal so 50 feet of viz is a blessing! To make it even better, got a BARGAIN. $344 for 7 nights at Morritt's Tortuga Club (east end) divided 4 ways. $582 for air. Now just have to find the dive package we want and a rental car.

Anyone with extensive experience is welcome to pitch suggestions. The resort has an in house dive op, Tortuga Divers. They have a nice package which includes 4 days of 2 tank dives, including one on the Kittiwake and one at Stingray City plus a sunset sail. The only thing that surprises me is they said they use 72cf tanks. For the kittiwake, that's a bit small. I'd want at least an 80!! I know there's a couple GREAT operators on the west end but that's not really acceptable. Hence the request for suggestions.

Last edited:
+1 for Andy's rent a car. Nice people, fair price. Remember gas is sold by the litre, not the gallon, so it's pricey.

My suggestion, FWIW, would be to skip the car expense and stay on the East End. We always stay on the West End because that where our place is, but you will find plenty of wonderful diving on the East End. Ocean Frontiers was very nice the few times we used them.

Unless you're in to shopping, there's not much for you in George Town. Catch a cab for a one-day visit (day before you fly) so you don't feel you missed anything. Cheaper than renting a car.

Thanks for quick responses. Unfortunately, there are 4 of us going but only 3 dive. To be fair, the 4th will have the car to go out and about while we're gone. We'll also use the car to go do some shore diving away from the resort. Then the fact that the other couple is leaving 2 days early means another drive to George Town. So in the end, we'll have no less than three trips from one end to the other, not including shore dives. That's why we're going for the rental.

I saw Ocean Frontiers and read some reviews. They certainly got HIGH marks. I'm really trying to work something out with the in house dive shop since it's right at the resort and they have 2 boats there. If they can't meet our needs we'll check out OF a bit more. Again, thanks for the responses thus far.

The island isn't that big. You can buz around to other dive centers for larger tanks if you wish for shore diving, but don't get too upset about or be afraid to use the 72's. They give you 90% of what an 80 holds, and I have used them on liveaboards off SoCal, as well as elsewhere without a a problem. Unless you are an unusually rapid depleter of air, you'll be fine. Enjoy the warm water and great viz. Make a point to get to the restaurant and bar at Sunset House at least one night you are there. Finally, know that sting ray city is a better snorkel than dive, but you 72's will last about 3 hours at the max depth of that dive.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Hey Dennis, any etiquette tips for the bar at Sunset House? I am staying at Sunset House 11/27-12/4.

I was in Grand Cayman in February had a great time. I dove with DiveTech. Every thing was great. They offer a variety of tank choices. They have 2 or 3 boats and the DM were to notch. A great place to eat for price, quality and service is Tim-Buc-Tuu. We had dinner there 3 times!!

Thanks for the info. I'm rapidly leaning to Tortuga and just use the 72s. I'm okay with them in general but at 90fsw, it's a small tank even with a good SAC rate. And I'd love to have a 100 for the Kittiwake!!! :D

On another note, anyone know why most (or all) only allow one dive on the kittiwake? I'd like to do more than one but from what I've seen, not too many such options.

Rent your car from Andys.

Dive with OF. If they are in a good mood, rent some tanks from them and do Babylon as a shore dive. (remote,long surface swim but awesome dive)

Eat at Vivines Kitchen at least once. (Near OF) Cheap local food,awesome view

If you can't get out of shopping in Georgetown try to go when there are no Cruise ships in town. Sunset House, Sundivers at the Turtle farm, and both Divetech locations are nice shore dives, although they don't compare to the East End dives unless you are O.K. with long surface swims.
Sunset House has a nice bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom