going to look/buy a boat..advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im thinking pass..... I have an idea of what it looks like now. Bought it, couldn't fix it, trying to dump it.

any outboard that sets up for awhile usually needs the carbs cleaned usually the jets get gummed up,not that big a deal,i used to own a boat rental fleet had many issues like that over the years,they make a carb cleaner called seafoam that works miracles with dirty carbs,i would check out the transom and floor of the boat to make sure they are solid with no wood rot,usually a out board will crank with a dirty carb,just runs rough.

Wildcard:
We wakeboarded behind a 25hp. Speculation on HP alone is pointless. Ya have to know what kind of boat it's on.

Hmm, granted, to SOME degree.... but a 25hp is NOT going to get many riders out of the water, regardless of the boat size.

When I was a young 100lbs slalom skier, I could do 30+mph with a Johnson 75hp. This on a Glastron TriHull 20' boat (think James Bond!). It still dragged me a LONG way before getting out of the water, but I was young, and it just added to the challenge. A MasterCraft whatever pulled me straight up, wow, was it awesome, and I had to slow it down to hit a course.

As a 195lbs adult that does not ski that often a Johnson 75hp is in-adequate, and I was behind a 21' vHull with a Merc 250 sumptin I/O that drug me forever a couple years back. I thought I was going to die! :rofl3:

You maybe right about boat vs. power, but a 40HP is NOT going to generate much over 18 knots regardless of boat size as one needs X amount of boat to install Y motor, and any boat that can take a 40HP Outboard is NOT going to fly with a minimum engine size.

OK off topic! :shakehead

Get a screwdriver and tap the handle all around the deck and transom, most fiberglass boats have wood core decks and transoms. When water gets in, it rots the wood. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tunk, tunk, tap tap. You have a project boat.

Ron and Wild...I'm sorry I'd have to disagree. I didn't mean the 40 hp to be a slam, I was just saying it all depends on your use. I've seen the serious bass guys with huge outboards..it all depends on what you want to use it for. Maybe you can wake behind a 25 hp boat in FL if you weigh under 100lbs. I learned to ski on a pontoon in OH when I was 6.

For me, I'm taking purpose....ie bought a 28' boat came to CO it has a strong 454, I like to ski from time to time. the boat had to be re-proped from a 24p to a 28p and that was after I added a blower. Now the fact that I'm at altitude, and I may have what doctors call a weight problem and a double booted slamon ski factor into the equation.

My point is different boats have differeent purposes. If I want to float and party I'd get a pontoon. If I want to ski all the time I'd buy a Mastercraft, If i wanted a lake crusier I'd get a SeaRay, and if I wanted to play in the ocean....well I'd make sure I was prepared, but the weather and a single 40hp motor would find me in a nice peaceful place not far from shore.

Getting into a boat of that vintage is usually going to require some kind of TLC or repair. What you are describing requires taking a pressure guage and testing the cylinder/cylinders to make sure the is no issue. As stated earlier check the deck and hull for soft spots with plastic hammer/screwdriver handle. Even with gummed/messed up carb/carbs the engine should run a short period of time with a blast of starting fluid. I bought a 18 ' 1972 Manatee for from an elderly gentleman who could no longer maintain the boat. It was an eye sore to say the least, but was structurally/mechanically sound. Yes it needed carb work. After 3 months and $500 more invested it turned out to be a very dependable boat.

Most important thing is to find if you can get spares for the motor, Ive bought some cheapies, only to spend days trying to find bits, small outboards are usually very easy to maintain. Do you like getting your hands dirty? will the owner let you try it for a day or two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom