Going to maui!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkmumme

Reaction score
Greetings Divers,

This is a joint account that my new wife and I have started together. We are from phoenix arizona and are very new to the dive community! We are going to maui in 2 weeks for our honeymoon. We would love to hear some imput from you on where we should dive as beginners and what companies and dive shops we should consider! Thanks alot!

-David and Kara

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals and welcome to ScubaBoard.:14:

For answers to some of your Maui diving questions, you should Start Here. This will answer most of your basic questions. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask and we will answer the best we can.

If possible, it would be helpfull if you told us where on the Island you will be staying as it could make a difference in which locations or operators we recommend.:D

If you're looking for some guided shore dives, consider Maui Dreams Dive Co.

For boat dives, I've been very impressed with Makena Coast Charters -- though Mike Severns is also a very reputable operator. I personally dislike Ed Robinson's (a popular favourite) for several issues, including legal, safety and customer service (PM for further details).

Also, if you can give me your specific dates, I can try and hook up for a shore dive if you want as well...

Cheers,

-kb

B&B is also a popular choice on ScubaBoard for charters out of Kihei. Our preferred operator is Ed Robinsons (we've never had the issues Kris has, but I totally respect his feelings about why he won't recommend them).

For shore dives out of Kihei, I would recommend Shaka Divers. The owner is here on scubaboard (Shaka Doug), so you can PM him or visit his website http://www.shakadivers.com. My sons (ages 12 and 14 at the time) did their checkout dives with him in 2006 and we returned in March 2007 for more dives. Doug definately knows the dive sites and is very safety conscious. He seems to have a knack for finding the most interesting creatures, too. Perfect for new divers!

For boat dives out of Kihei, I would recommend B&B Scuba. One of the owners is here on scubaboard (Blesi Varney), so you can PM her or visit the B&B website http://www.bbscuba.com. I have dove with them the last two years and always had terrific dives. They are also safety conscious, visit a wide variety of dive sites, and since they are the first boat out in the morning, they return the earliest, leaving plenty of time for other activities during the day. I think we were back at the dock by 10:00 or 10:30 each morning. The first dive is usually at Molokini (the backwall is a world class dive!), with the second dive being elsewhere. The boat holds 12 (I believe) and they divide the divers into groups based on their experience and ability. Wonderful diving!

Steve

I agree with nescubasteve on both of his reccomendations. B&B Scuba is probably the best dive operation I've ever had the pleasure to dive with and I've dove with tons of them. Doug of Shaka Divers does a great job with guided shore dives and knows how to make his customers happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom