Going to Riviera Maya in Nov, best to go first 2 weeks or last 2 weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misty58

Reaction score
We want to go back to the CAT in November. Which do you think, weather wise for diving, would be better, the first 2 weeks in November or the last 2? I've read about the "North winds" coming in Nov., do you think they will affect diving in this area? We want to dive as much as possible in this area. We are going to Cozumel in April 2010 (YES!) and we liked the diving we did here in January.

nortes are cold fronts basically. And those usually don't come in till late december/early january. The downside/upside (however you look at it) of coming on the last 2 weeks of november would be running into Thanksgiving weekend, which would (hopefully) mean a lot of people. other than that, its all gravy.

nortes are cold fronts basically. And those usually don't come in till late december/early january. The downside/upside (however you look at it) of coming on the last 2 weeks of november would be running into Thanksgiving weekend, which would (hopefully) mean a lot of people. other than that, its all gravy.

Hey bro, check your email, I recieved your PM....AND SEND ENERGY PACKS.:D

Last year there were Nortes starting in October so you never know.Of course Nortes are a blessing for most of the coast, just bad for Cozumel and Chinchorro

I'd go the last two weeks. It's still Hurricaine season in early November.

And I'd get trip insurance just in case.

We want to go back to the CAT in November. Which do you think, weather wise for diving, would be better, the first 2 weeks in November or the last 2? I've read about the "North winds" coming in Nov., do you think they will affect diving in this area? We want to dive as much as possible in this area.

We usually go to the Yucatan the first two weeks in December, as you are truly on the ebb of hurricane season, and a little early for the strong Canadian fronts that sweep through the continential midwest and down into the Gulf. Being on the mainland, the Norte's shouldn't really be as much of an issue as on CZM.

I've been going for 2-3+ wks just after Thanksgiving for the past 7 yrs and we rarely lose days to nortes or anything else in Cozumel, but we do lose days in Akumal just about every year due to either a norte or just wind. The small skiffs can't get out of the bays when the waves are high. Sometimes you get in the 1st tank and they shut down for the rest of the day as the winds pick up. We actually started spending more of our Dec trip time in Cozumel because of this.

Nortes can come in November and early Dec. Like any other seasonal weather, it varies from year to year and there really isn't any way this far out to know what you might get. Some years we have great weather and miss no days or just a few... other years we've missed several days in a week.

As a general rule, when it's blowing on the mainland Cozumel is fine and visa versa.

One advantage to being on the mainland if you get blown out for ocean diving is that you can still dive the cenotes, or do some sightseeing at one of the Mayan ruin sites.

Back
Top Bottom