Going to Vortex for First Time 7-8 FEB.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TN-Steve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Gang,

Going to Vortex with the LDS (they have a batch of OW / AOW students to certify, and the local quarry is about 45* right now). I'm looking forward to it, any advice / suggestions? I'm NOT a cave diver, some people have talked about going down to the big lit room at 115 ft, (they say it's a "Cavern Dive" since it's lit at both ends), but having watched some videos of it, I'm not cool with the idea of passing the "Don't Go Beyond This Point" sign.

What can I expect to see, what critters to expect, any general advice. If you're down there that weekend, look for the group with the "Waterdogs" banner, I'm the guy that looks like my Avatar. (Or just ask for "Scuba Steve") (I didn't pick my nickname, it was assigned to me :) )

TIA

Steve.

Its a spring as you know there are some eels. and a lot of funny looking fish with humps on thier heads there. There is lots of what you may think is trash on the bottom. Most all training aids of one sort or another. I would not call the ball room a cavern. no natural lighting. there is a perhaps a 6" non colapsable hose laying onthe bottom to fetch out water for bottling. The cave channel is large so its not like the springs in cave country. If you get bored there you can go down the road to morrison springs. Never done that site but vortex is good for me. You have I think 60' to the reaper sign so its ok for AOW certifing. Too bad the only 60'spot is at the reaper sign. Nothing like doing an AOW cert dive to the entrance of a cave. Easy entrance to the water. land to water stairs last time i was there were good. open water area is not that big perhaps 75 feet across and the 60' area is on the far side. You can drive to perhaps 50 ft from shore. They were a little fickle about filling nitrox tanks when I was there last.

Hope this helps

enjoy vortex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom