Gold Bar Stolen from Mel Fisher Museum KW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at the museum in June and noticed that everyone who picked up the bar tried twisting it to see if it would come out of the case. Then I thought about the cooties on it from the masses of people touching and went and washed my hand.

I read a number of Mel Fishers books and one of the problems with the gold was turning it into cash in order to pay the mortgage.

Because of the need for immediate cash, some of the gold was sold for much less than its value.

The stolen gold will show up. The thief will have to sell it or it will be worthless to him.

Only a collector or investor, would hang onto it.

I find it really sad that this was stolen. The Mel Fisher story and museum belongs to all of us. It is a unique and interesting story of a very colorful and eventually hugely successful, American adventurer.

Here is Mel looking at you.

100_3941.jpg

Last edited:
That 74 oz gold bar is probably 74 one ounce ingots by now. If they melted it into small ingots it would be almost impossible to trace.

It is sad, shameful, and a disgrace that a thief would melt an American treasure into small ingots and dispose of it.

Well, I'm sure that's just an educated guess on Dennis' part, rather than actual knowledge. :)

The real shame is that it would be stolen in the first place.

Either there was a collector / buyer already set up and a pro did this OR a idoit. That bars value is in it's history. Otherwise ANY large pawn shop has MORE than 74oz of gold in it plus some diamonds.

Unfortunatley my fingerprints are ALL over that thing. I played with it for about ten minutes in 2002. Not to mention my face print on the glass and drool on the floor. I am expecting a knock any minute from Dana Scully.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom