Golf Ball Recovery Business

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers that go into golf course ponds, do not have a gun put to their heads, it is by their choice and those divers work as Independent Contractors. Work when you want, quit when you want.

Remember way back in the old days - before Amerika became what it is today, America was based on the INDIVIDUALS RIGHT TO CHOOSE- not a government controlled country....

As long as someone really knows what they're getting into, that's OK. The question is whether they are making an informed decision when they choose to dive this way.

BTW, although you are exercising the right to free speech guaranteed to all citizens by the Bill of Rights, you aren't doing your credibility or likability any favors by bringing politics into the discussion.

Amerika?

That is absurd and off topic.

Wanted

Guy with golf ball recovery business to come and buy all the balls I have recovered from local lakes. These balls have never seen salt water or harsh chemicals so I expect top dollar for them............:rofl3:

Well I’ve looked and I can't find a better place for this post.

What is the “rule” regarding recreational divers cleaning the under side of yachts on scuba for money? I have found a marina in South Africa where there is loads of money to be made. The reason I ask is that have been told that only commercial divers can clean and be paid for the work. Can anyone give some advice? (No I’m not going to go do a commercial diving course)

What is the “rule” regarding recreational divers cleaning the under side of yachts on scuba for money? I have found a marina in South Africa where there is loads of money to be made. The reason I ask is that have been told that only commercial divers can clean and be paid for the work. Can anyone give some advice? (No I’m not going to go do a commercial diving course)

there are several posts on this in other threads.

sounds like a good idea for easy money until you consider some of the dangers.

1.) most marina owners are cheapskates and don't put in quality electrical fault over rides such as GFCI. so electrical shorts to metal docks in the water create a shock hazard. so do shore power lines in the water.

also boats can have AC (alternating current) electrical problems all on their own and "ground" to the water through metallic pass throughs in the hull.

we had a diver die diving in a marina where he swam into an electrical field and just sat there and electrocuted himself until he died.

It's not always the boat you're working on you've got to worry about, but the facility as a whole and other boats.

2.) most boat owners still ocasionally dump sewage overboard in a marina. even if they aren't supposed to. Sinks/showers, and bildges go overboard regardless.

so do you really want to be swimming in that bacteria colony in a marina? nothing like getting raw sewage in your 2nd stage and mouth.

still want to scrub yacht bottoms in a marina?

Thanks, but you have not answered my Q. Could you post links to the other threads please.

As for doing the work i would much rather be leading dives in the open ocean, but sadly no one is looking to hier a DM in South Africa, so to make the R25 000 i need to do my IDC I'll clean yachts, dive out golf balls and anything elsss to make the money to follow my drream.

There are no "rules" within diving certification agencies on hull cleaning. Maybe local municipalities have rules/laws on diving in their marinas.

There is no rule from certification agencies to enforce anything like this.

for other threads, click the search engine on the top of this window and put in different things like "hull cleaning". have fun.

Since you live in South Africa, I can't speak with authority on any regulations concerning hull cleaners there. Here in the U.S., while there are no national regulations, there are some states that require permits to do the work, but they are merely formalities more akin to a business license and require no specialized training. Here in California, anybody can hang out a shingle and clean boat bottoms for pay.

Don't let theose who have never done the job (and therefore speak out of ignorance) dissuade you. While it is not a job that everyone would enjoy doing, if the marketplace is anything like it is here in the Bay Area, you can make a very good living at it. Be aware that building a clientele takes time and you will likely need to have another job to pay the bills while you build your business. I worked full-time at night for 5 years until I felt I could quit and live off my dive service income. I don't regret doing it for a minute. Owning my own business has been the defining event in my life. Good luck.

Here is a update for all the "know it all" about golf ball recovery.

PG Professional Golf /Springer Golf Ball (look in Texas) is now paying up to over $1.00 a ball for premium golf balls in excellent condition. (you do the research as to what "premium" means)

I have now told any interested the name of wholesale buyers and how to get rid of the scrap rubber recovered from golf courses.

I do believe, these companies are always looking for people to dive for golf balls - do the research, use the internet, and ask. Working for "them" rather than oneself, will cost lots in the bottom line, but getting the rights to dive golf courses, is the key to making $$$ and these fellas have them (there are others)

This site has waaay too many ego's/critics/know it alls, including the ones who are suppose to be the monitors, that really know nothing. Typical of what has happened to Amerika.

Lots of Luck diving - I am all for hard work, less government intervention, less people worried about what I do and where I do it. Go police your own world, leave mine alone.

Montana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom