Good basic wrist computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnees

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This has probably been asked before...but ye gads...it's a consumer's nightmare. that, and hundreds of pages to sort through...

Just got back from my first dive trip, and have 11 dives to my name, loved it, want to do more...decided I should get a computer...can anyone point me in a good direction that won't break the bank?

At this point, I don't think I will ever need nitrox, prefer wrist mount, and downloadable would be a plus.

have looked at the Mares M2; Oceanic VEO 100; Aeris XR1...anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience with a complete fng...I'm so confused.

I have a Mares M2 and I really can't complain much about it. It's easy to use, it takes 'AAA' batteries and it will figure air or nitrox. It also allows dive planning and has a 'gauge mode' for use as a secondary or bottom timer when you decide to upgrade. The only downside to it is that you have to use a good deal of force to press the buttons on the darn thing. For the price, depending on where you look, you can't beat it. There is also a download cable available for it.

Eventually I'll upgrade, but for a simple, easy-to-use, 'starter' computer, it works well for me.

Get a nitrox capable one .. I thought as you did when I first shopped for one too (Oceanic VEO 100) but .. I ended up with one that does and guess what, I now have a nitrox cert .. you just never know (VEO 200, now a VEO 250)

there are deals to be found on some ... http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresM2 is one, and you can ask Larry at ScubaToys for suggestions .. he is a solid member of ScubaBoard

I have an M2 Also. They are not made any more but you can still find them online under $200. Good basic computer. Does nitrox. I am a vacation diver and really like the AAA batteries which I remove after every trip and replace with fresh ones just before I go again.

I also really like the Gekko. More modern design, better display, but a little more $$$

Get a nitrox capable one .. I thought as you did when I first shopped for one too (Oceanic VEO 100) but .. I ended up with one that does and guess what, I now have a nitrox cert .. you just never know (VEO 200, now a VEO 250)

there are deals to be found on some ... Mares M2 Nitrox Computer reviews and discounts, Mares is one, and you can ask Larry at ScubaToys for suggestions .. he is a solid member of ScubaBoard

Hey thanks DB, I just ordered one. I have been looking for another computer, mine is ten years old. It still works but is not nitrox and I'm thinking of taking the class this spring. I was thinking of getting the NiTek Dou but for less than half the price the M2 will work for what I'm doing now. When I get into deco I'll get something like the NiTek Dou.

My LDS who is an Oceanic dealer said the reason the 100s are cheap is they are discontinuing them... he said they have "bugs" in them. But since I also strongly encourage you to get a Nitrox capable one, you don't have to worry about that, do you? I also strongly suggest you get one that has the capability of uploading your dives to a computer. That is turning out to be one impressive feature for me!

Ken

I wonder what "bugs" are to be found?
..... or is it that they are coming out with a newer model because ... new tech that can be manufactured more easily and cheaper, and it gives them a chance to get more/newer consumers

I've been very happy with my Suunto Gekko computer. Nitrox capable, affordable, easy to read and just a nice unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom