Good chicken place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people ask for a recommendation for a dive shop, we often ask what their preferences are so that we can recommend an op that meets their preferences.
Before I can recommend a place for chicken I would need to know about the persons likes and their experience level. Are they a newbie that would benefit from a private PM (PolloMaster) or are they full tech chicken eaters that don't want anyone touching their forks and want to be able to eat their whole chicken without being limited by the first eater in the group to get full.
Without knowing more about Dogbowl, any recommendations I give would just be cheerleading for my favorite Polleria.

Definitely a pollo newbie and will need to hire a private PolloMaster! Looking to become pollo tech, maybe, if I pass PUE (Pollo Ultimate Eater) Fundies.

Here are some things to think about:

Cooking Style, Do you like fried, rotisere, grilled, etc.
Seasoning, Do you like dry rubbed, mole, etc
Location/setting, close to town, oceanfront, outside seating, take away, etc.
Sides, do you like the potatoes soaked in chicken drippins or are you ok with a bag of spagetti.
Sanitation/food handling, The major supermarkets wear hairnets and masks, some of the tastiest have no running water.
Freshness, slaughtered that morning important to you?

So many dimensions of chicken for you to explore on your journey. You don't need to become a PM or get the MPE (MasterPollo Eater), even if you stay a recreational chicken eater you will have just as much fun exploring the pollerias.

Personally I prefer my pollo wood roasted and spatchcocked although I still enjoy social chicken eating of all styles, even the touristy wings at wet wendys or the mole pollo del dia at Casa Mission

No recommendations but a funny story .... we were near Tulum in the late 80's. We stopped at a small roadside place for a quick meal and asked the waiter what was fresh. He said the chicken ..... we ordered the chicken, a minute or two passed and we heard the "cluck, cluck, cluck....crack" Ah yes, very fresh!!

Bob

No recommendations but a funny story .... we were near Tulum in the late 80's. We stopped at a small roadside place for a quick meal and asked the waiter what was fresh. He said the chicken ..... we ordered the chicken, a minute or two passed and we heard the "cluck, cluck, cluck....crack" Ah yes, very fresh!!

Bob

I don't like to see my food alive or hear it for that matter. Makes me feel guilty.

Generally takeout but there are a few tables outside. 1 block back from the Mercado Municipal / 1 block south of the Pemex gas station past the Burger King. The whole chickens are split, laid open and slow cooked over charcoal (no rotisserie). You order and pay at the little kiosk window and then pick up your order where they are cooking the chicken and sides if you ordered them. Our resident friends recommended this place as it not a LONG walk from where we stay in town and it is where they get their charcoal BBQ chicken fix... Good enough for them is good enough for me. There's nothing like looking at and smelling 40-50 split chickens slow roasting over a bed of well managed charcoal!

ATTACH=full]504018[/ATTACH]

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 75

I remember being on Ambergris Kay Belize 16? years ago and walking past a street cart selling chicken tacos and other items... Hanging from the top of the cart under the canvas roof in 85 degree heat were raw dressed chickens covered in flies. When they needed more chicken, they pulled another one from the top cur it up and started cooking it. Needless to say, I didn't try a chicken taco from that cart as it was in the afternoon and I didn't have enough vodka in my stomach yet to kill whatever bugs may have been on that chicken. I see the same thing back at the Mercado Municipal... lots of seafood and meat laying around in the various vendors' stalls with minimal or no refrigeration whatsoever. Obviously locals eat it every day without problems and perhaps their cooking processes kill anything that could be bad but I wouldn't eat it (then again, I probably do eat it or something close to it at every restaurant I dine at!).

I was driving through Belize once and it got to be time for lunch. I saw a guy with a grill full of chicken in a small parking area by a house and pulled over. I asked my wife what she wanted and she said a thigh and drumstick. Open the car door and walked over to the guy who had on an apron and was holding a large, two-tined fork. I pointed out a couple of thighs and a breast, and asked "how much?" He looked at me kinda funny and said "Sorry, it's not for sale. Today is my birthday and I'm grilling for my friends who are coming to my party!" We ended up eating in a Chinese diner up the road he pointed out to me.

Two recommendations, both too far away for a comfortable walk. Taxi might cost 40 pesos.

Caracol grilled chicken is hard to beat at "el billy's" on 65ave.
ASADERO EL BILLY
65 Avenida Sur, Independencia, 77664 San Miguel de Cozumel, Q.R., Mexico
+52 987 880 0711
https://maps.google.com/?cid=17332821151965340030

Same goes for this chicken place: (flavor rubbed under the skin and cooked whole)
Asadero del Pollo
Pedro Joaquin 498, Gonzalo Guerrero, 77600 San Miguel de Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
+52 987 872 3665
https://maps.google.com/?cid=6474257564531689959

Both more of a take out (and eat by the ocean?) sort of place with high volume exquisite flavor.

Cameron
The second one is on 30 and is so delicious that you will probably go back two days later and then grab another to take with you on the plane ride home. I'm. not. kidding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom