Good dive operation near Melia in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi: I am doing a scuba group reservation to Cozumel over Thanksgiving and found a great deal at the Melia......but I am having trouble scheduling the diving! The dive shop at the property doesn't respond to calls or emails. Does anyone know of a good dive company that is near the Melia or that might pick up my group from the Melia on Cozumel?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Thanks!!
Mary Jane

Well at last count there were over 100 Dive Shops there why dont you go on line and get some tel. Nos. And call its always better to talk with a manager over the phone.If not shops there are open in the afternoons just shop around when you get there thats what I always do. Things always look good on the web sites. I like to see the gear and boats and to check air and Divemasters cert cards.

dolphin adventures:
Hi: I am doing a scuba group reservation to Cozumel over Thanksgiving and found a great deal at the Melia......but I am having trouble scheduling the diving! The dive shop at the property doesn't respond to calls or emails. Does anyone know of a good dive company that is near the Melia or that might pick up my group from the Melia on Cozumel?

Thanks!!
Mary Jane

http://www.sanddollarsports.net/ Find out if these guys are the dive operators, then try to use this link to contact them

dolphin adventures:

Thanks!!
Mary Jane

The Melia is the northernmost hotel on the island, and not even the onsite operator can pick you up by boat there. This is for logistical and practical reasons. Boats are docked much further south and 98% of the reefs are south of downtown.

Regardless of who you end up diving with, you will have to taxi or drive at least to the town pier...or possibly the marina.

A taxi to the town pier from Melia will cost you $6 to $8 each way for two people. From the Melia to the marina "caletta" the fare will be $8 to $10 each way. Decide if the savings you are getting at the MElia are worth it based n how many days you are diving. Otherwise, my suggestion would be to change hotels (Hotel Cozumel, Fiesta Americana, Presidente, Cozumel Palace, Casa Mexicana, Casa del Mar, La Ceiba, Reef Club, Caribe Blu, Villa Blanca Hotel, etc).

Good luck!

Baja:
...and to check air and Divemasters cert cards.

No offense intended, but you would probably get laughed at. Not that it's inappropriate to ask, but don't be surprised if they don't have the card available to sow you...most don't carry it around with them.

Just so everyone knows, in order for a boat to maintain marine park permits, and other licenses/permissions to operate within the marine park, proof of captains' licenses and divemasters credentials must be provided to the harbor masters office on a monthly basis in order to have permission to operate within the marine park that month. In Cozumel, it is required by the marine park that divers be led by a certified divemaster or higher at a ratio of 8:1. Now are there shops who break these rules, of course there are...but the reputable ones have their ducks in a row. Furthermore, most of the divemasters here log more dives in a month than most people log in a lifetime. They are professionals and this is how they make their living...they are not weekend instructors/divemasters/teaching assistants, etc. They do this every single day!

Immediately to the South of the Melia is "El Cozumeleno" which has a satellite office of "Scuba Du" on premisis. I stayed there last December and used that dive op. Even in "El Norte" conditions, the Scuba Du fast 6-pack boats arrived on schedule on the 3 mornings and they would send us home after the dives from the "El Presidente" marina by cab at their expense (to spare us the tooth rattling ride back to El Coz). They are a top-notch dive op that will allow you to dive according to your ability and I would happily use them again. The distance along the beach path between Melia and El Coz is approximately 200 yards. The concrete dock where they pick you up separates the 2 properties.

Contact info: www.cozumel-diving.net/oceantur
Antonio Madrazo (987) 872-1379

I just returned from a week at the Melia (about 12 hours ago in fact). A trip report will follow when I have time to post the pics.

There is an on-site dive op (Aqua World) but I chose the taxi to Calleta ($10 each way) and had a wonderful experience with Allison (Scuba with Allison). In my opinion, it was worth the extra cab fare.

I did contact Scuba Du prior to the trip and they informed me by email that they would have to pick me up at Playa Azul (about a mile down the road) because of the "pier" issue between the Melia and El Coz. Seems that they didn't want boats to pick up Melia people although we swam on their beach daily with no problem.

Thanks again Christi for all the info. And by the way, I didn't see any crocs on the beach at night....but I did hear that a group saw one swimming over Mariciabo* one day....hmmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom