Good Dive Related Books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't know of any formal list, but a few I can think of off the top of my head are:

Shadow Divers
Shadow Divers Exposed
Deep Descent
Dark Descent
The Last Dive
Dive into History Vol 1 - 3

Then are are all sorts of training books, medical research/info books etc... Lots out there depending on that you are looking for.

Navy Dive Manual is full of wonderful information....I downloaded it from Amazon in Kindle format. http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Navy-Divi...WVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1280405008&sr=8-2

Visit Gary Gentile at his online site (he self publishes, and you won't find his books at Amazon) Gary Gentile Productions .

Gary is one of the all time GREATS of diving since the 70's, and has the ability to share his research, experience, and joy/humor of diving.

I was hoping someone would come up with a fiction book like a murder mystery, hidden treasure mystery or something that has lots of diving in it.

Is there a list of good dive books out there somewhere? Could not find anything in this forum.

Returning to the Original Poster's question, there's only one title I know of:

Down to the sea with books: NAUI International Bibliography of Diving and Related Sciences, compiled by Stephen W. Collins III, NAUI Technical Publication Number Four.

It lists some 1500 references, first in a list by author in alphabetical order, then in a thematics list under the following headings:

* Aquatic life
* Cave Diving
* Commercial diving: underwater work and salvage
* Diving equipment and maintenance
* Diving for treasure
* Diving medicine and physiology
* First aid, life saving, scuba rescue and water safety
* Legal aspects of diving and maritime law
* Limnology
* Marine biology and marine life
* Marine sciences and technology
* Oceanography
* Scientific and research diving
* Shell collecting and aquariums
* Sound - underwater
* Sports diving and underwater education
* Underwater adventure and exploration
* Underwater archeology
* Underwater instruction: swimming, skin and scuba diving
* Underwater navigation and search procedure
* Underwater photography
* Underwater submersibles and habitats

The book list came out in 1973 and hasn't been updated since then. This said, many good diving books appeared in the vintage era of diving, some of them either still in print or readily available in used book stores.

I reviewed Collins' bibliography further in my own ScubaBoard thread at

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/book-media-reviews/311196-down-sea-books.html

According to Amazon, it's out of print and copies aren't easy to come by, but it's certainly worth buying if you ever see it:

Amazon.com: Down to the sea with books: NAUI international bibliography of diving and related sciences (NAUI Technical Publication): Stephen W Collins: Books

I wonder whether anybody will ever take on the job of expanding this list of diving books to cover the intervening 37 years?

Back
Top Bottom