Good dive spots for people with pretty bad motion sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puchinita5

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have just recently been certified and I really really enjoyed it (for the most part). Unfortunately, I get pretty severely motion sick, and so the dives that were in wavy waters I didn't enjoy at all. I would still like to pursue scuba diving as a hobby now that I'm certified, but I don't want to dive anywhere that will make me sick. I was wondering if people could comment on good dive spots that aren't wavy. Perhaps a part of the ocean that is calm, or maybe lake dives, etc.

We did one dive that was under Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach Fl. This one you literally put your gear on, walked into the water, swam for like 1 minute and we were at the site. The water was basically motionless. I had a really good time, although I know it's not the most exciting dive...just a good beginners spot because it's pretty shallow.

Our second dive was in Pompano Beach and we had to take a boat for about 15 minutes. And needless to say, it's open water and thus WAVY. I had the hardest time just getting into the water. I needed to have the dive masters and crew help me cuz i felt so sea sick and couldn't get myself to put fins on or anything, but they convinced me I would feel better underwater and so with their help I got in. The first minute or so was the worst feeling in the world. Once I got down to the bottom, it was a LITTLE better, but NOT GOOD. Most of the time I was concentrating on not throwing up underwater and couldn't enjoy the dive at all. I also could still feel the water waving back and forth even when we were at the bottom. Once we started heading up to the surface, I got ridiculously nauseous again and had to throw up into my regulator. And once I got on the boat, threw up all over steps getting into the boat. IT WAS A DISASTER.

We were supposed to do another dive later that day but I just couldn't do it I felt so sick!

I had taken Bonine the night before, another once I woke up the morning of, and twice before I got on the boat and another on the boat and it was still a miserable experience. I was also trying to eat ginger snaps, but nothing worked.

So please let me know any suggestions of great dive spots that aren't in very wavy waters. Or if you have any tricks to fight motion sickness because dramamine and bonine DO NOT WORK for me.

Thank you!

Bonaire is a great place for begginers and offers great shore diving.

I had taken Bonine the night before, another once I woke up the morning of, and twice before I got on the boat and another on the boat and it was still a miserable experience. I was also trying to eat ginger snaps, but nothing worked.
  • Are you sure that you didn't exceed the recommended dosing for the Bonine that you took?
  • Did you do a trial of the Bonine on a non-diving day prior to the trip in question? The reason I ask this is that it's critical to get a handle on any side effects that any med might have on you before you add water/the ocean to the equation.
  • What other anti-seasickness meds did you try? Bonine isn't the only med out there.

Feel free to do a search on ScubaBoard for suggestions on how to prevent seasickness. In addition to over-the-counter meds, you could experiment with real ginger (ginger snaps might not be the best vehicle for this) and cognitive/self-hypnosis approaches.

Typically, shore dives are better for people who get seasick. Bonaire is a dive destination featuring excellent shore diving. You really should consider planning a vacation there.

Last edited:
There are also those scopolamine patches. Those worked great for me and my girl who gets seasick most of the time in a boat.

Hi, don't despair you aren't the only one with this problem. :) I get seasick myself and in fact I had an embarassing moment on my first day of checkout dives for my AOW. We were at the Rainbow River in Crystal River. The water was crystal clear and what I have issues with is seeing the shimmering of the sun under the water. I was OK on the first drift dive but during the debrief after our navigation dive I gave the fish a warm meal. Then we finished our final drift dive and I was again feeling sick. We got out of the water and I threw up all over the dock. Might I add, in front of a very good looking fellow student. :blush: The worst part was that when we got back to the dive shop they called DAN and I almost was not allowed to make my second day of dives. I had to pleade my case that it was just motion sickness.

What I find that personally helps me and I haven't had any issues since is this regimine of anti motion sickness medicine is this: I start premedicating about 2 hours before the dive with 1 dramamine tablet and 2 simethicone tablets(to offset the effects of swallowing excess air) then an hour later I will take 2 bonine tablets. When I am out on the boat I stay where I can get a good breeze and stare at the horizon. Once in the water I get under as fast as possible. :)

Good luck. :)

What I find that personally helps me and I haven't had any issues since is this regimine of anti motion sickness medicine is this: I start premedicating about 2 hours before the dive with 1 dramamine tablet and 2 simethicone tablets(to offset the effects of swallowing excess air) then an hour later I will take 2 bonine tablets. When I am out on the boat I stay where I can get a good breeze and stare at the horizon. Once in the water I get under as fast as possible. :)
@TracyN: Please be careful taking two different medications that have a very similar mechanism of action. Both Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) and Bonine (meclizine) are antihistamines which have some anticholinergic activity. This can magnify the potency of the meds and cause dangerous side effects. If you don't believe me, ask your local pharmacist and/or family physician.

On a related note, "feeding the fishes" due to seasickness shouldn't be taken lightly. Vomiting can affect hydration status and blood chemistry. This would be the concern in a diver experiencing "excessive" vomiting. Something else to keep in mind...

Reactions: Jax
Hey guys, I have just recently been certified and I really really enjoyed it (for the most part). Unfortunately, I get pretty severely motion sick, and so the dives that were in wavy waters I didn't enjoy at all. I would still like to pursue scuba diving as a hobby now that I'm certified, but I don't want to dive anywhere that will make me sick. I was wondering if people could comment on good dive spots that aren't wavy. Perhaps a part of the ocean that is calm, or maybe lake dives, etc.

We did one dive that was under Blue Heron Bridge in Riviera Beach Fl. This one you literally put your gear on, walked into the water, swam for like 1 minute and we were at the site. The water was basically motionless. I had a really good time, although I know it's not the most exciting dive...just a good beginners spot because it's pretty shallow.

Our second dive was in Pompano Beach and we had to take a boat for about 15 minutes. And needless to say, it's open water and thus WAVY. I had the hardest time just getting into the water. I needed to have the dive masters and crew help me cuz i felt so sea sick and couldn't get myself to put fins on or anything, but they convinced me I would feel better underwater and so with their help I got in. The first minute or so was the worst feeling in the world. Once I got down to the bottom, it was a LITTLE better, but NOT GOOD. Most of the time I was concentrating on not throwing up underwater and couldn't enjoy the dive at all. I also could still feel the water waving back and forth even when we were at the bottom. Once we started heading up to the surface, I got ridiculously nauseous again and had to throw up into my regulator. And once I got on the boat, threw up all over steps getting into the boat. IT WAS A DISASTER.

We were supposed to do another dive later that day but I just couldn't do it I felt so sick!

So please let me know any suggestions of great dive spots that aren't in very wavy waters. Or if you have any tricks to fight motion sickness because dramamine and bonine DO NOT WORK for me.

Thank you!

Oh, no! :hugs: You have my sincerest sympathy!

I'm not kidding - I got sick snorkeling Hunama (sp?) Bay in HI.

I've tried it all. Just a few months ago, I tried the Scopolomine patch. It gives you horrid dry mouth which Jolly Ranchers works on well. The second time, not so bad. The third, even better.

However, I was great the last trip -- until I went into the 'head' in the front of the boat. Uh . . . not smart. Next time, I WILL wait no matter what. But it was ONCE out of FOUR days of 1-hour each way trips.

Another vote for Bonaire. My wife and our good friend are both dive buddies of mine and both are really sea sickness prone. I tried to pitch the idea of a live-aboard and was basically told 'good luck with that.' But they both like Bonaire shore-diving.

The one time I tried using the bathroom ('head') on a dive boat-sized craft was the one time in my life I can remember getting sea sick, so yes, if you can (wait), don't (go)!!!

Richard.

Sounds to me like you might have taken TOO MUCH of the sea sickness meds. I've never seen any of them that recommend that many pills. At most 1 the night before and 1 the morning of and/or every 12 hours. Sounds like you took about 5 or 6 pills in a 12-16 hour period.

I second Bubbletrouble's comments about also testing for side effects of the med before you actually need it for boat trips.

That said, there are a LOT of good shore dives along the coast of Florida. I did BHB, and Lauderdale by the Sea several times. There are many more that I didn't get to dive. Check with "Gold Coast Scuba" on meetup.com for a lot of options in and around Ft. Lauderdale for daily shore diving. There are also beach dives near Venice Beach/Tampa area that are apparently decent in the right weather conditions.

Back
Top Bottom