Good dives for kids in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My daughter (11) and my niece (13) are recently PADI junior open water certified. Our family travels to Cozumel at least once a year for vacation and diving. We would like to include them in our dive plans, but want to keep them in the safer 40 foot or less dives. Where would you recommend diving in Cozumel for them? Is there a dive operation that is better suited for this? I've tried to email Christi at Blue XTC a couple of times with no response, so I get the feeling their are not geared for junior divers. Does anyone know of an operation that would be? Or just areas in general? Thanks in advance.

We just got back from Cozumel and I was told by a couple of dive operators in Coz that if you want to stay above 40 feet, you'll pretty much have to shore dive. Almost all of the boat dives do a deep (85 ft.) first dive and a shallower (60 ft.) second dive.

We dove at Chankanaab Park which was an easy shore dive with a max depth of about 30 feet. Lots of marine life and plenty to see (including a cave entrance).

I posted a review here (see post #3 in that thread).

There are not a lot of less than 40 ft dive sites in Cozumel. And probably little to no demant for trips exclusivly to those type sites. One site that is <30 is Columbia shallows. But it is far south and many ops would rather not go there. I think I would look at something other than Cozumel for the kids first dive trip.

Jarrett:
My daughter (11) and my niece (13) are recently PADI junior open water certified. Our family travels to Cozumel at least once a year for vacation and diving. We would like to include them in our dive plans, but want to keep them in the safer 40 foot or less dives. Where would you recommend diving in Cozumel for them? Is there a dive operation that is better suited for this? I've tried to email Christi at Blue XTC a couple of times with no response, so I get the feeling their are not geared for junior divers. Does anyone know of an operation that would be? Or just areas in general? Thanks in advance.

Wow Jarret...I thought we discussed this in depth. If you have sent subsequent e-mails, I guess I haven't gotten them. This sure was a surprise to read after our lengthy e-mail discussions regarding same.

I will concur with the above posters though. Dives 40 feet and shallow are limited and in order to go specifically to these sites only, you would need to charter a private boat.

I did just spend the weekend in Playa del Carmen, and the diving there is very easy and many shallow reefs to choose from. I highly recommend Playa del Carmen for novice divers and photographers.

Christi, sorry for the misunderstanding then. I sent a couple more emails after the first one and only received the "48 hour" automated emails in response. I went ahead and forwarded the emails to you again. I am sending to this email: info@bluextseadiving.com Is that the right one or should I send to a different email? Thanks.

Christi, I again received the 48 hour email. Did you receive mine? Hopefully we can get this email issue worked out.

Jarrett:
Christi, sorry for the misunderstanding then. I sent a couple more emails after the first one and only received the "48 hour" automated emails in response. I went ahead and forwarded the emails to you again. I am sending to this email: info@bluextseadiving.com Is that the right one or should I send to a different email? Thanks.

That is correct and I did receive yur last e-mail on 8/17 and then your resubmission of same e-mail on 8/25. I responded to the first one on 8/17, and then forwarded my response to you on the 25th. Have you checked your SPAM or trash folder?

I doubt I still have it, but I will reply again if I can't find my original response to you.

Christi, I got this email, thanks for the response. Looks like shore dives for the kiddos. Does anyone have recommendation on good shore dives in Coz? Thanks.

Jarrett:
Christi, I got this email, thanks for the response. Looks like shore dives for the kiddos. Does anyone have recommendation on good shore dives in Coz? Thanks.

Well, I don't necessarily recommend shore dives for the kids either, especially inexperienced kids and without a professional.

One, Cozumel shore diving is limited and two, the currents can be really strong so navigational skills must be very strong.

What I suggested was chartering a boat for the family so you can do all shallow dives OR hire a private divemaster to stay shallow withthe kids.

Ah I misunderstood. Not being purposely obtuse, but when you say DM, do you mean they would stay shallower with the kids on the boat dives or they would lead the shore dives in the locations where the currents are stronger?

I ask because we did our OW check dives at Villa Blanca and it seemed ok for my daughter and niece. Is that dive indicative of the currents at all of the shore dive locations or perhaps its one of the milder ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom