Good dives in north FL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going home to Tallahassee for Thanksgiving. My g/f is coming with me and she's also a diver.

I started diving after I moved away from FL, so I don't really know what's good to dive in the north FL area.

Can anyone recommend some options?

Relevant info:

My g/f and I are both Advanced and Nitrox certified.
She does not want to dive in anything colder than 72 degrees and would prefer warmer. And good to decent viz is also a requirement.
The closer to Tallahassee the better.

Is there even anywhere within 3 or 4 hours of Tallahassee that will be that warm?

I was thinking of trying to go dive the Oriskany, but I just checked and water temps look like mid-60s? That would be fine for me. I'd probably dive dry anyway. But, the g/f won't go for that.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last time I dove the oriskany was in the middle of winter...water was 75deg. Mid 60's seems a bit low, although the locals will be wearing thick suits(thin blooded). I used Nuhi charters out of Pcola...it's a 6pk 27ish foot world cat... Makes for a good day with fewer people and a faster boat.

Last time I dove the oriskany was in the middle of winter...water was 75deg. Mid 60's seems a bit low, although the locals will be wearing thick suits(thin blooded). I used Nuhi charters out of Pcola...it's a 6pk 27ish foot world cat... Makes for a good day with fewer people and a faster boat.

Yeah, I did a Google search for P'cola water temp and found this:

Marine Forecast| Weather Underground

which says it's currently 64F. But, other sources do seem to suggest more in the mid-70s. I'll have to call Nuhi and see what they say.

Thanks.

---------- Post added November 17th, 2015 at 06:25 PM ----------

The Gulf is shallow in that area. Call Wakulla Diving Center Wakulla Diving Center Contact and ask if they know of any boats going out. I think there's also a spring in that area that is OW friendly too. Wakulla Diving will have the info on that as well.

If there are boats going out around that area (presumably, Saint Marks or Carabelle or nearby), is there anything interesting to see in that part of the Gulf? I'm having trouble imagining any decent reefs. Any wrecks?

I have tried to dive the Oriskany on a number of occasions on dates ranging from mid January to early April. I have physically been in the Pensacola area on 11 days, ready to dive on any one of them. I have never been able to go--not once. The last time I was there was early March two years ago, and I spent a week a few miles away on the Alabama coast. I called all the dive shops in the area to see what was happening, and I found about half of them were closed, with boats up in dry dock, getting annual maintenance. I talked to one shop that offered other diversions than scuba, and the proprietor thought I was out of my mind. "You do realize the water temperature is only in the mid-60s, don't you?" he asked. I told him I had my dry suit and considered that balmy.

According to this NOAA site, the water temperatures off Pensacola will also be in the mid-60s that time of the year.

I have jokingly argued that the Oriskany does not in fact exist--it is just a bait and switch tactic to get you to the area, at which point they tell you that conditions aren't good, and they offer you other diversions. In the past, I went into the caves instead.

Those temps are probably inshore, and from the bay. You want the gulf temperature: NDBC - Station 42012 Recent Data

That buoy is about 10 miles NW of The Oriskany (guessing) and about 15 miles from shore (not guessing). You'll have at least two temps on the Oriskany. Sometimes the colder water is on the top, sometimes on the bottom. I've dove 80° at the surface, with 67° on the bottom (Trimix dive). In the Winter, it's usually colder up top.

Call Capt. Andy. He can give you an actual temp report from the last time he had divers out there.

Niuhi Dive Charters - Pensacola Scuba Diving Adventures

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 03:14 PM ----------

I have tried to dive the Oriskany on a number of occasions on dates ranging from mid January to early April. I have physically been in the Pensacola area on 11 days, ready to dive on any one of them. I have never been able to go--not once. The last time I was there was early March two years ago, and I spent a week a few miles away on the Alabama coast. I called all the dive shops in the area to see what was happening, and I found about half of them were closed, with boats up in dry dock, getting annual maintenance. I talked to one shop that offered other diversions than scuba, and the proprietor thought I was out of my mind. "You do realize the water temperature is only in the mid-60s, don't you?" he asked. I told him I had my dry suit and considered that balmy.

According to this NOAA site, the water temperatures off Pensacola will also be in the mid-60s that time of the year.

I have jokingly argued that the Oriskany does not in fact exist--it is just a bait and switch tactic to get you to the area, at which point they tell you that conditions aren't good, and they offer you other diversions. In the past, I went into the caves instead.

You'll want Capt. Andy (Niuhi, Reef Cleaner) or Capt. Douglas (H2O Below). Doug usually pulls his boat in the Winter, but is still running in October/ He starts pretty early in the season too. Andy runs year-round, but I'd try to get the big boat (Reef Cleaner). 6-packs are miserable for Gulf diving in Winter, even if you have your drysuit on when you leave the dock :wink:

---------- Post added November 18th, 2015 at 03:17 PM ----------

If there are boats going out around that area (presumably, Saint Marks or Carabelle or nearby), is there anything interesting to see in that part of the Gulf? I'm having trouble imagining any decent reefs. Any wrecks?

I think there's a charter that runs out of Mexico Beach. Further East, it's shallow, and very low viz until you get ridiculously far offshore. Wakulla Diving Center's probably the best place to ask.

Maybe Destin? - about 2 hrs. west from Tallahassee on I-10. You can shore dive the Jetties - pretty shallow but one area is 50' IIRC.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Destin Jetties of Florida, USA East

According to Surf-forecast the current water temp. is 74o
Destin Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (Florida - Gulf, USA)

Two shops I googled - there may be others:

Home - Scuba Tech of NW Florida
emeraldcoastscuba

Don't expect 100' visibility - we used to vacation near Panama City Beach and Pensacola and it normally wasn't 20'. One of the shops even has a visibility disclaimer on their site.

Why not take a cavern class while you're here. You'll get lots of diving in :)

Why not take a cavern class while you're here. You'll get lots of diving in :)

That was my original plan. But, then I met my g/f and things are going so well with her I invited her to come home to FL with me for Thanksgiving. And she's a scuba diver, too. She has no interest in cold water, low viz, or caverns. And I would rather dive with her, and her enjoy it, than take a cavern class and leave her alone with my family! :)

I was gonna mention cavern/cave too, but since it's off the table, go with suggestions above.

I know a couple of divers in the Panama City area who may be able to help out. PM me... Oh, and if you ever decide to try the overhead stuff, give me a shout! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom