Good Friend Almost Kills me with Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theoretically, a diver could let the free diver breathe off the octopus and SLOWLY surface together and there shouldn't be a problem. I say theoretically, because I don't know how a diver could keep the free diver from bolting to the surface.

Theoretically, a diver could let the free diver breathe off the octopus and SLOWLY surface together and there shouldn't be a problem. I say theoretically, because I don't know how a diver could keep the free diver from bolting to the surface.
Those were my thots, as they don't wear a vest or much else to grab do they?

I see the dilemna. But I suspect that the more common of the two situations is the one that the OP described--the freediver doesn't need the air--the scuba and freediver are just experimenting or playing around. That is the scenario that I know of locally--the scuba and freediver were just messing around. It seems improbable that a freediver would run out of air, and just happen upon a scuba diver at the right moment to rescue them. If I were scuba diving, and a freediver asked me for air, I would definitely decline--and take a look to see whether they had a buddy backing them up as per normal safe freediving practice, and whether they return safely to the surface.

I think the choice is simple. Its hard to repair the damage from an embolism. Not as hard, but still difficult, to revive a drowned swimmer. I would let the swimmer drown. Surface with the drowned swimmer. Get boyant or on the boat/shore and administer Mouth to Mouth. Much greater chance at living.

Thanks for The response. The two different types of diving, free and Scuba, have for me completely different Mind Sets.Scuba, breathing freely,naturally, staying Alert but relaxed ~ def not breath Hold!!!!!!,Free Diving, absolute breath holding as long as possible, and bobbing up and down, at least for me.Having been placed in the odd situation of being offered air that wasn't requested, and the normal reaction of my common sense mind to accepting courteously was just well common sense Mind. which for me are neither of the other Two.That's what almost got me killed. In fact when i was in the position of watching scuba divers, while free diving, my common Sense mind says "what the hell are you doing, put on a tank, quit bobbing up and down, Relax stay for a Long while and the least of your considerations will be shallow water black out.

I free dived some on vacation trips before scuba. Nothing impressive, just playing around. Would see scuba divers down there at times. If one had offered me air from a reg, I guess I would have tried it - then died on the surface. I didn't know anything then other than get a big breath on go down. It also probly would have been good to have known about Shallow Water Blackout.

Once a diver allows a free-diver to breath off a reg at depth, that diver becomes obligated to see the free-diver safely to the surface.

The free-diver does NOT need to breath consistently off a reg. What they do need to do is to keep their airway open as they ascend. This is no different than what every diver is taught in OW, don't hold your breath on scuba, and once you breath air at depth, you become scuba.

If a freedivers shows up and grabs my reg, I'm going to help him/her. However it they choose to bolt to the surface, I won't follow at a speed faster than prudent. Better one hurt diver vs. two.

I've freedived down and taken a few hits on someone's regulator many, many times. In fact, now that I think of it, for my son's scuba certification dive in openwater, it was shallow (15-18 feet max), so I just freedove with the class. The instructor and my kid both gave me a few hits from the regulator from time to time and then I ascended and continued freediving down to the class. It is not that big of a deal, as long as you remember to not hold your breath on ascent...same rule as scuba.

I thought about it a little afterward and told my 10 yr old that what I had been doing is dangerous and that he is not allowed to do it (poor example). But I have done it probably a few hundred times over the years and didn't think much about it as I was doing it.

It is not really some death defying stunt, however I would be very hesitant to offer air to a snorkeler, especially a kid who I did not know to be scuba certified.

When I took my PADI course, we had to do a free ascent blowing bubbles all the way with the reg out of our mouth from 60 feet. I don't see a big difference between that and snorkeling down 60 feet, taking a few breaths and then slowly swimming back up and exhaling all the way.

No Dumpster, the big difference is some free divers don't know. I didn't; I don't think T-Tiger is certified or knew, but survived.

Once a diver allows a free-diver to breath off a reg at depth, that diver becomes obligated to see the free-diver safely to the surface.

The free-diver does NOT need to breath consistently off a reg. What they do need to do is to keep their airway open as they ascend. This is no different than what every diver is taught in OW, don't hold your breath on scuba, and once you breath air at depth, you become scuba.

If a freedivers shows up and grabs my reg, I'm going to help him/her. However it they choose to bolt to the surface, I won't follow at a speed faster than prudent. Better one hurt diver vs. two.

Finally the right answer. Don't deny air, don't just give them air and let them go. Put them on your octopus and accompany them to the surface. If you see that they are not breathing, stop the ascent and hand signal to them that they should be letting breath in and out.

If they bolt and ascend to their death, you are covered.

HM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom