Good LDS in NY/NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtyDeeds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking for a good LDS in Rockland/Bergen/Westchester/NYC area. I am interested in competitive prices and expertise. I would rather support a LDS but if the price are not competitve or the service is lacking I try online.

What king of gear are you looking for? What kind of diving? Where do you live and where will you do most of your diving?

I am pretty much looking for BC, Reg, Computer, Knife, Lite..etc. I plan on doing recreational diving and doing most of my diving in warm water(FL and Carribean). I live in Rockland Cty.

DirtyDeeds:
I am looking for a good LDS in Rockland/Bergen/Westchester/NYC area. I am interested in competitive prices and expertise. I would rather support a LDS but if the price are not competitve or the service is lacking I try online.
try captain mikes on city island,bronx ny..on westchester border..let me know if /when you go and I'll be sure to look out for you..

DirtyDeeds:

Never shopped there - I live 2hrs south - but I've gone diving with Blue Water Divers in Ramsey and Rochelle Park. They seem very nice.

http://www.bluewaterdivers.com/

RJP,
I actually am going to stop by BlueWater Divers. They are only about 20 minutes away. Have you ever bought anything from them and how is diving with them?

I don't know of a single dive shop in the NYC area that will match online prices without a lot of hassle and gripe but I do know of one in Ct. that will and they have been very nice, Rex Dive Center. Perhaps others will chime in. That said, I do like the folks at Pan Aqua in Manhattan. Very nice but also PRICEY. I also like Stingray Divers in Brooklyn but I don't know if they will match prices and the selection again is limited. They also charge 10 bucks to fill and HP80 with air!!!! Captain Mike's gets good mentions here and about although I know nothing about them personally. Scuba Network is hit and miss depending on the employee but also pricey, mostly miss but the one in LI is VERY nice. Kings County Diver's in Brooklyn has always been nice on the phone and that's all I know. Village Divers is SMALL, PRICEY, and somewhat friendly if you want to buy what they want you to want, then they will order it for you, lol. Leisure Pro has decent stock and prices and the service is just fine assuming you know what you are looking for. Last time I was there they had a nice guy working that was also an instructor. I don't know if he is still there. Who did I miss? My friend likes the place on the upper east side but I can't remember the name...? OMHO's.

DirtyDeeds:
RJP,
I actually am going to stop by BlueWater Divers. They are only about 20 minutes away. Have you ever bought anything from them and how is diving with them?

Never bought anything from them, actually never even been to their store! (Ironically, I drove by it by chance the other day.

I've only dived with them because they frequently charter the boat I like to dive on out of LBI - The Gypsy Blood.

Their DMs and instructors are nice, and all the students seem to like them.

If you are looking to save money I recommend LeisurePro. I purchased my life support equipment (Reg, BCD, Computer) from Pan Aqua in Manhattan and everything else in Leisure Pro.

Funny... this is the 2nd time today this is coming up. I use bluewaterdivers.com in Ramsey. (I live near Nyack, right by you.) They're used to be a guy up near Spring Valley, but he wasn't much for customer service and went out of business. BWD, like most real LDS's aren't likely to be able to be price competitive for a lot of gear vs. online. The LDS/Internet, LeisurePro argument is a long and spirited on in a variety of threads on here.

Personally, I get all my life support type gear from the LDS even if it costs a bit or even a bunch more. They service it, respect all the warranties, etc. For other little stuff, if there's a serious price discrepancy, I'll either try to negotiate or buy online. But I'm in the 'try to support' the LDS school unless prices are really ridiculous school.

In any case, check out their web site or stop by. Like I told the other person, their Ramsey store is 17 NORTH, so if you take 87 to 17 S. you'll need to turn around on Lake St. being careful to stay as far right as you can once you wind onto 17 North, as their driveway, (same as hiway hobbies, comes up real fast on the right just after an on ramp.) Or you could take 45 south and turn right on Lake St. and come out right ON that on ramp and make the first right. Probably faster to take the Thruway to Exit 15, 17S though.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom