Good News for US Divers Wanting to Go to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac:
Is there any rumor of a 51st State?..........if not.....let's start one! :popcorn: :rofl3:

Actually, there is a bigger push for Florida to become Canada's 11th province. In the winter time, half of the residents in Florida are Canadian. Ever wonder why there are hockey teams in Florida when most of "natural" Floridans haven't seen that water freezes to ice at 0 degrees (yes, 0 degrees in the civilized world, 32 degrees in the US), and that you can skate on it.

The Democrats also would like Florida excluded in future presidential vote counts. Many Floridans would like to have universal health care. Wow, there are so many reasons why this is good.

I have always had a keen intrest in diving in Cuba, maybe even moving there someday, been checking on the situation here a lot recently. Talked to several Euro friends that dive there. One BIG problem in Cuba here of late, the fish population are about wiped out, I hear that in a lot of ares that were recently pristine have gone to zip, nada, barely anything to see in the sea!!

I just returned from a week-long trip to Varadero. I'd been to Cayo Largo a year ago (my opinion - beach at Cayo Largo much nicer than beach at Varadero for anyone who cares about these things). It was not a dive trip as the person I was with is not a diver, or a swimmer for that matter. The two lads from the local dive shop were present at the resort maybe a grand total of 6 hours the entire week I was there. They set up two rigs by the side of the swimming pool but didn't promote it at all (all Mares equipment). The resort offered free scuba diving as part of it's all-inclusive package however I've heard from others who've been to Varadero that it's almost a 'bait and switch' type of deal. They don't want to take you out for the 'free' diving, they want you to pay for a day to dive in the Bay of Pigs. Which turns out to be a 14-hour trip for a couple of dives, apparently.

Aside from all that, yes our resort was American-free, although overrun by a plethora of Quebecois which more than made up for it. The odd German and Brit thrown in for good measure, but mostly Canadians from coast to coast.

Andy, you'll be happy to know it is standard practice for Canadians to fill their suitcases on the way down with supplies for the Cuban people that we take for granted. Toiletries of every kind, paper, pens, pencils for the kids, clothing, shoes, eyeglasses, you name it. We also tip very generously (I know, I know, hard to believe from a Canadian) but what good will money do for them if there's nothing to buy in the stores? So we do a combination of both and we also do it anonymously. We left a big pile of stuff in our room the last morning - so the maid wouldn't know about it till we'd been long gone.

I have never been anywhere in my travels (and I've been all over Mexico and the Caribbean) where I was treated so warmly as I was in this resort. The place had just changed hands and there were a fraction of guests there. I hear now, a week later, it's close to operating at half it's capacity.

I can't comment on the issue at hand regarding lifting of travel sanctions to Americans. Most of the people I met there are heavily influenced by American culture and music. Our tour rep, for instance is a huge Aerosmith fan. Go figure. What I did find interesting - on a day trip to Havana, our tour guide (different person) kept talking about the days of the "American Mafia" before the revolution. But that was the only comment I ever heard about Americans in Cuba. I would have to say Cuba is firmly planted in the 21st century. I have never seen a truly happier group of people, and I hope the future brings only good things for them. I know everyone is watching with interest and I was happy that Fidel didn't die while I was there, but it certainly would have made for a memorable story.

Oh, and we got to see the Buena Vista Social Club perform live in Varadero. Most of the original members are gone now, but it was definitely the highlight of the trip.

I admit this thread caught my interest, and my first thought was "oh no! I better get back to Cuba before it's too late!" This isn't because I, as a Canadian, think that Americans are obnoxious. You meet the good and bad from every country where ever you go. That includes Cubans of course, who I generally found to be friendly and welcoming, and certainly still very appreciative of tips and small gifts, unlike in some further developed tourist areas. This isn't to say that Cuba isn't developed where tourism is concerned. The Canadians and Europeans have increasingly been going in droves. Gone are the days when we say "you're going to Cuba! Isn't that dangerous?" Cuba is one of the few places I can fly to direct from Vancouver. It's a great cheap, convenient sun destination. The all-inclusive market has come a long way. Wish the same could be said for the food quality. That's still an ongoing process. I didn't dive there, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't get too excited about that.
Anyway, what I'll be sad to see, if/when this happens, is the "Americanization" that will undoubtedly happen, as was somewhat mentioned in an earlier post. I'd hate to see Starbucks and fast food on every corner. Montego Bay had a Burger King across from Margaritaville (what a joke that place is), and I still laugh at Puerto Vallarta selling "McPollo" at McDonald's. Then there's the hoards of horrible cruise ships dumping ridiculous gobs of people into what was once a sleepy town, that learns to triple their prices and give them the crap they want to buy. I know I'm not alone, as any Canadians I talk to agree that's we don't want to bring our country to every country we go to. We want to enjoy it for what it is, with it's own individual culture. That's what makes it special. One of the best features of Cuba is that you can still experience the true culture (away from the rows of all-inclusives of course). Yes, individual Americans will feel the same way, but admit it the change driven by the country as a whole will be inevitable.

scratchmyback:
Andy, you'll be happy to know it is standard practice for Canadians to fill their suitcases on the way down with supplies for the Cuban people that we take for granted. Toiletries of every kind, paper, pens, pencils for the kids, clothing, shoes, eyeglasses, you name it. We also tip very generously (I know, I know, hard to believe from a Canadian) but what good will money do for them if there's nothing to buy in the stores? So we do a combination of both and we also do it anonymously. We left a big pile of stuff in our room the last morning - so the maid wouldn't know about it till we'd been long gone.

that is awesome! that will make a real difference in their lives

if we ever get a ScubaBoard trip to Cuba, we should all bring suitcases full of sundries each ... that would rock

That would be the ONLY benefit of having a Democrat Pres and Congress. That being the case, there's plenty more great dive destinations without the risk here at home!!!

H2Andy:
a bill has just been introduced to lift travel restrictions to Cuba. this would allow US citizens to spend cash in Cuba, thus making travel a whole lot easier than it is right now.

by 2009, if a Democrat is elected President and if Congress remains a Democrat majority, even the 47-year old embargo may go.

who can say?

the point is, Cuba may become a viable diving destination for Americans soon

http://cubalandblog.blogspot.com/

of course, this is happening now that Cuban prices are going up and Cuba is not the bargain that it used to be ... still ... would be nice to get a ScubaBoard trip to Cuba, no?

i'll translate for free :wink:

Regardless of anyone's political views, and regardless of anyone's opinion of Castro and communism, I feel certain that the idiotic embargo on Cuba exists for one reason, and one reason only; Florida is a swing state, and the vote of the Miami Cubans consequently has lots of leverage. Yet another reason to ditch the electoral college...oops, I opened up another off-topic debate.

I'd love to go to Cuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom