Good Novice Dives - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vickersjr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son just got certified a few weeks ago and I am trying to plan some good beginner dives just to get him more comfortable with diving. We are going to Alexander Springs this weekend which is about as novice as you can get but I want to step it up gradually from there. I have heard that Key Largo is another good place to go. I live in central florida just south of Orlando. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Boynton Beach - Underwater Explorers with ScubaKevDM (Kevin). Some of the best reef diving in CONUS is a short drive away. Plus it is drift diving so you get in the water, sink, float along and then pop up. Boat will swing by and pick you up.

Blue Herron also offers a very graduated shore entry which can really help with the comfort level of a new diver and big bonus is a very short walk to the car.

Blue Herron is an incredible marine environment -- just follow the tide schedule. The drift diving in Boynton (and all of Palm Beach) is absolutely spectacular, but may be too deep, depending on your son's age and certification. Here in Lauderdale, Pro Dive does a beautiful shallow reef site every weekend afternoon, to accommodate OW training and junior divers' depth restrictions -- max of 22'.

I did the Blue Heron bridge 2 years ago and am dieing to go back, just spectacular.

Key Largo reef dives are about as easy as you can find, 20' - 30'. Would suggest Horizon Divers or Amoray's - their boats are very diver friendly and have good crews. Amoray has inexpensive lodging also.

Thanks! That will get us started. Headed to Alexander Springs tomorrow and I think south Florida after that.

Glad to hear that South Florida is on your itinerary. Check out this month's Scuba Diving Magazine and see how we're the #5 location for "Top Ten Dive Trips Under $1K."

West palm beach is also another good spot for beginner divers I dont know how deep you want to take him but I did a few dives down there and they were around 60ft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom