Good opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking to grab my first hood to go with my suit. Looking for 3mm. Don’t think I need the vested hood. What are you guys liking for a standard 3mil hood?

The K01 hood is the only one I can tolerate.

Waterproof

Whatever fits my head...they are all cut differently.

Reactions: Zef
You really need to try them on unless you're not too particular. Get something with a good size bib front and back for it to stay tucked. I do like skin in for colder water. I have a 5mm Bare Elastek hood that I really love. It stretches to don and doff easily. Keeps me warm in NE water. In fact, I liked it so much I tried to get an Elastek suit in my size... That's another story.

One thing about a vested hood is that you don't have to fuss with tucking in the bib. And it will keep you warmer. If you get too warm, just let a little water in. Build your wetsuit collection with layers. You'll be happy with more options.

You really need to try them on unless you're not too particular. Get something with a good size bib front and back for it to stay tucked. I do like skin in for colder water. I have a 5mm Bare Elastek hood that I really love. It stretches to don and doff easily. Keeps me warm in NE water. In fact, I liked it so much I tried to get an Elastek suit in my size... That's another story.

One thing about a vested hood is that you don't have to fuss with tucking in the bib. And it will keep you warmer. If you get too warm, just let a little water in. Build your wetsuit collection with layers. You'll be happy with more options.

All my diving is either here in south Florida or further southern warm water locations. Even in winter here a 3m seems to be more than enough. My wetsuit is the deep6 3mil which evidently is warmer than other 3mil. So my worry of using a vested hood is that I’d then be way too warm.

I was actually looking at their H1 5/7 since they offer it in the hi viz orange which would match the deep 6 suit nicely but I’m worried it might be too hot/thick

You can always put it on/take it off at the water's edge.

With most gear that one wears, good fit is the key.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom