Good places to go for easy, shallow diving with newbie Junior Open Water divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

themilnes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks

My sons, (now 11 and 12), qualified as Junior Open Water divers last year and were lucky enough to do their qualifying open water dives, plus a couple more, in Cozumel where we were blown away by the diving, (and snorkelling!). So...I'm hoping to pick your collective brains for places where they can get in some fab yet easy and shallow dives. We're limited to around 12m due to the 11 year old but I wouldn't want to take them much deeper than that yet anyway, until they have more diving under their belts.

Thanks so much for any suggestions... :)

Took my, now 14 year old, Jr OW grandson to Coz, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan when he was 11-13. Added GC this summer and fall to that mix. All of them offered opportunities of shallow, easy dives. You could easily add Bonaire to that group, but it is a longer flight distance and cost than the closer Caribbean dive locations. Primarily because he lives near Galveston, I took him on Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Disney cruises that stopped at those ports so we could get in some good diving and also offered plenty of shipboard activities to keep him busy and happy all seven days of the cruise. Of course, if maxed out diving is your goal, then a week stay at a dive resort would be a better option.

The Florida Keys, such as Key Largo (trip report), could be a fine choice, but I don't know how operating out of the U.K. affects your choices. I'm only familiar with U.S. & Caribbean diving; from where you are, they may be other options.

Richard.

+1 for Key Largo, Florida... we dove for 4 days on Molasses Reef. Easy diving that is pretty shallow. Check out Rainbow Reef for dive and hotel packages, I was super happy with them.

+2 for Key Largo. MIA airport has direct flights to UK. From MIA it is exactly on hour by rental car to milepost 100 in Key Largo and a number of good dive boats including Rainbow reef. There is some decent lodging within walking distance of boats. Lots of the reefs are 20-30 ft and short boat rides. Say 7-8 miles.

+1 for Key Largo / Molasses Reef / Rainbow Reef. There is a great shore dive north of Miami that is VERY easy if you get the timing right (tides), Blue Heron Bridge. It is a great 'get wet' starter for the week. You can spend the 1st night near the bridge, dive, and then drive down to Key Largo.

The Keys are mostly boat dives. With 4 divers that can get expensive fast.

None of these are cheap places to stay either but the diving could be more reasonable from shore. A quick Google Flights check indicates all are 12-15 hours, one stop and less than $1200 for flights - some as cheap as $700. I used a week in March, Sat-Sat.

Grand Cayman is no doubt pricey. But renting a condo, doing some cooking cuts into that - although food in the stores is high also. For your new divers - there's a 1/2 dozen decent shore dives. North to South highlights:

Cobalt Coast Resort - Reef Divers on-site now for tanks or boat dives. So shallow they used to tow experienced divers out to the wall.
Turtle Reef - a mini-wall that doesn't exceed 40-50' to the south, slightly deeper north. Sundivers on site with easy stairs entry. Also Macabuca for lunch.
Lighthouse Point - another shallow dive - the anchor/historical site is 15'? Divetech on site.
Cemetery Beach - almost a better snorkel. No operator
In Georgetown Eden Rock isn't much deeper than 40' anywhere - some of the reef closer to 15'. Devils Grotto just to the south is similar.
South of town is Sunset House - the dive resort. Two shore dives there - the mermaid might be too deep for the kids (55') but hey might like waving at the tourist sub when it goes by. Also there's a shallow reef just off saltwater pool entrance - couldn't have been 20' deep.
Slightly farther south is Smith's Cove - it's shallow for a while. Get tanks for both Smiths and Cemetery at Eden Rock or Divers Supply slightly north of town. Know that Georgetown is a big cruise port and the tenders dock downtown.

Plus there's two boat dives they can do - the Kittiwake - a dive cleaned wreck deliberately put down. So shallow recent rough waves just tore the roof off the Pilothouse. Check on penetration though since they're junior OWD. DM accompanied and they cut big holes in the hull. Dive 365

The other dive is Stingray CIty - the best 14' dive in the world. You're encouraged to overweight to plant yourself in the sand while feeding the rays.

A lot of the 2nd dives from a boat on the morning 2-tank are shallow but most still about 40' or so. Red Sail Watersports does one in the afternoons that's also a snorkel trip so they stay to shallower sites. The problem with the deep dives is that due to the moorings, someone wanting to stay shallow is in blue water with nothing nearby.

Curacao is an option also. About 40 beach entry dive sites with facilities on-site. The 4-5 that need a dive dock have one. Really easy, low current diving - at many no current at all. One of their signature dives is the Tugboat - it's 17' deep. The pier nearby 40' but the good stuff starts at 10' At Playa Jeremi there's a field of Orange Cup Corals in 15' off the north point of the protected cove. Several other sites are similar. A couple of the resorts with diving also have a breakwater so the water between it and the beach is pretty calm.
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Curacao, ABC Islands

Last option - the Virgin Islands. Flights go into St. Thomas - take the Fast Ferries to the British Virgin Islands - lots of expat Brits there. Pretty expensive - Virgin Gorda is really quiet. Tortola a little busier. DiveBVI lists depths - some as shallow as 20-30'. All boat dives. BVI Scuba Diving Sites | Dive BVI

If you split your time, spend a few days on St. Thomas's East End. Coki Beach is a shallow beach dive - IDK if it exceeded 40' anywhere. The signature boat dive in the area, Cow/Calf rocks about the same. We did a shallow drift dive off Grass Cay - I'm positive it wasn't much deeper than 30'. That whole area is pretty shallow. Also you can "drive" (car ferry) over to St. John - there's a couple shallow dives there also - plus several snorkel trails.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the suggestions so far - keep them coming! :) I'll look into anything that you throw my way...

I'll definitely investigate the Keys as that's nice and easy to get to for us. I'll also have a good look at all your suggestions diversteve - thanks for the in-depth post. I've always fancied Curacao!

Operating out of the UK means that we really have to shop around - particularly for the flights - but if I've got a wishlist of suitable places recommended by you guys then at least I have a starting point. In our current situation, where we're so limited by depth and experience, it really helps to have the opinions of people that have actually dived the places they're talking about, so your thoughts and opinions are really valued - thank you!

Hi @themilnes

I'm with the majority who have recommended Key Largo, it's ideal for your goals. There are many, many good reef dives between the 20s and 40 feet. Take a look at @drrich2 review if you have not already, it's very good. The op that Richard used, and has been mentioned by others, Rainbow Reef, puts a DM in the water, perhaps an advantage for divers new to the area and/or supervising 2 Jr divers. There are many good operators, hotel options and restaurants. Depending on your departure city, you may be able to get a nonstop to Miami, rent a car, and make the relatively easy drive down to Key Largo. You'd then have a car for your vacation activities. There are also some other things to do, not that I know much about them, being a dive, eat, sleep kind of guy. The SB's @NetDoc and his better half, @mselenaous live and teach in Key Largo. I'm sure they would be more than happy to answer questions or make recommendation by PM.

If your sons decide to take some time off, you could probably line up a trip to the Spiegel Grove or the Duane for yourself. Both are very fun wrecks, max depths exceed 100 feet. You could easily get in as much diving as you wanted, not hard to get in 4 dives/day, if that is your wish.

Both my children were certified at 12, diving with them for the last 19 and 15 years has been one of life's highlights.

Good luck, enjoy your dive vacation,

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom