Good reg package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pthoma79

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this reg package on scubatoys and was wondering what you guys think about it. Here's what it is:

-Aeris XR1 Dive Computer
-TUSA RS-130 Regulator
-TUSA Imprex Octo

$390.00

Seems pretty good, but we just want some unbiased opinions before we buy. Thanks.

Saw this reg package on scubatoys and was wondering what you guys think about it. Here's what it is:

-Aeris XR1 Dive Computer
-TUSA RS-130 Regulator
-TUSA Imprex Octo

$390.00

Seems pretty good, but we just want some unbiased opinions before we buy. Thanks.
First, my perspective: Someone else looking at equipment, not a dive veteran or equipment expert

I've read some opinions that the RS-130 is a solid and underrated regulator as long as you don't need an environmental seal. I was considering a package that included this reg, but ended up deciding to buy gear in pieces and am going for a reg with a seal. But if I wasn't looking for this feature, I'd like to have this reg.

I'm sure the octo is fine. Personally, I'd prefer something a bit slimmer (Viper or Slimline), but as long as an octo works, people out of air probably aren't too picky.

The computer looks fairly nice for a basic unit, but I personally wouldn't get an air-only computer just because most people seem to use nitrox at some point. If you're sure you have no interest in nitrox, then this isn't an issue. Also, a lot of people seem to prefer wrist units (see the "What Do You Regret Buying" topic), but if you're okay with a console, then that's fine. It sounds like the computer will include the compass, which is good.

So while I personally don't care for any of the components just because they don't have the features I want, if it suits your type of diving, I see no issues (although wait for someone more experienced to answer).

I would rather go for something like this: Mares R2 Rebel Package - Deal Of The Year

Reading reviews and such, it sounds like Rebel is better choice between the 2. I was going to buy this package but got a good deal from here on almost brand new MK25/S555 package.

The only thing with Mares is that my LDS said it would be hard to find a shop that would service them. He said something along the lines of they were bought out by another company. But I haven't really had a chance to look into that more.

I'm not familiar with that package, but I have the Suunto Cobra with attached compass, Titan LX reg, and Aqualung Octo. I would get whatever octo is there, like the other poster said, people who run out of air don't care.

Can't speak for the reg set, but I have the Aeirs XR1 Nitrox version. It is very basic. Easy to use and gives you minimum features, but it is basic. No backlighting, no detailed dive info to go back through. I am planning to get a second more advanced computer and use the XR-1 as a backup (always the plan which is why I bought a basic and inexpensive with my first setup).

How much money are you willing to spend on your first set?

The way I look at it is that I don't want to buy life support for how good of a deal it is. I buy it for its quality since it is life support.

How much money are you willing to spend on your first set?

The way I look at it is that I don't want to buy life support for how good of a deal it is. I buy it for its quality since it is life support.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. The fact is that almost all commercial scuba gear is incredibly safe, so if you have multiple items that are safe, why not go with the good deal?

Would I buy some 50 year old equipment because it costs $20? Of course not. But there is no evidence or suggestions that any of this gear is unsafe, so thinking it's a "good deal" sounds good to me.

I agree. I didn't mean that I want "cheap" gear, but I want the best value for my buck. I doubt anyone would sell gear for less money because it has a higher probability you would die when using it (kind of a liability issue). As a beginning diver, I just want good value gear, and as I continue to develop as a diver, I'm sure I'll find I want different features.

My thinking is as long as you maintain your gear and get it serviced regularly, it should function well. Correct?

not sure how this fits in with your choices , but ... The only advice my Instructor gave us about buying gear was for regulators ... get the best performing reg that you can afford, and avoid thinking good enough for now .. not because less expensive gear is unsafe, none of it is, but because good gear lasts a lifetime of diving and you do not want to find a short time later that you wish you had purchased better a breathing reg.

He was right and I'm glad that I listened, I didnt get the most expensive reg, but I've found here that I ended up with a solid, good performing reg that I need never outgrow

Back
Top Bottom