Good Regs to watch for on Ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sndt1319

Registered
Reaction score
I recently had some financial aid problems as a college student so money that I was going to buy a regulator with is now got to go to school. But I was wondering about getting a used set on Ebay. I see a lot of older US diver, scuba pro, and aqualung regs for around $150. I realize you take a gamble on used gear but it may be my only option if I want to get a reg set. Are there any specific models I should look for? I need something for colder water but nothing below 100ft. Are there models to look out for? Has anyone done this route? How much did it cost to get the reg serviced? I mostly see SE3, Calypso, and Conshelf. If this is just a bad idea let me know. I don't like skimping on life support equipment but if it can be done safely I would like to know.

I got a Conshelf XII on eBay that was in pretty good shape. It doesn'i have enough LP ports for an octo and BC inflator unless you get a swivel adaptor.

Divers Direct has a Mares piston first stage regulator for <$100. I have one and it is a fine regulator.

Good luck!

sndt1319:
... regs for around $150...
buy a new acceptable reg with a warranty...for around that price via the internet
www.scubatoys.com
Mares MR12 Axis-Special Sale Price!-$133.95

or a good new reg without the manufacturer's warranty from
www.leisurepro.com
Oceanic Alpha 7 SP4 Piston Regulator, Black Product Price $144.95USD

The Oceanic has received glowing reviews from www.divernet.com and www.scubadiving.com as the best budget reg available. The Mares also has received positive reviews.

A used reg of unknown origin should be serviced before using. This will cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25 to $50 depending on the price of the parts. Remember to factor that in when you are buying a used reg.

I am not associated with any of the companies mentioned above but I have dealt with both Scubatoys and Leisurepro.

sndt1319:
I recently had some financial aid problems as a college student so money that I was going to buy a regulator with is now got to go to school. But I was wondering about getting a used set on Ebay. I see a lot of older US diver, scuba pro, and aqualung regs for around $150. I realize you take a gamble on used gear but it may be my only option if I want to get a reg set. Are there any specific models I should look for? I need something for colder water but nothing below 100ft. Are there models to look out for? Has anyone done this route? How much did it cost to get the reg serviced? I mostly see SE3, Calypso, and Conshelf. If this is just a bad idea let me know. I don't like skimping on life support equipment but if it can be done safely I would like to know.
Hi,

Ebay can be a wonderful thing, but you need to know what you want. Other posters have shown that clearly Ebay does not always offer the cheapest route to owning your new reg. Consider the options carefully. Even if you buy a "New In Box" regulator from a private party you should not trust that it really is ready to dive, so plan on spending money to get it completely serviced. If you buy a reg on Ebay it will not come with a warranty from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers provide the parts for each annual service for free, often saving you around $20 to $30. You still need to pay for the labor but the parts are free. So consider the actual costs, with a new reg purchased from a store you will not need to service it for a year, and when you do the cost of service will be around $20 to $30 less than the used one will be. If you get it serviced every year this saving continues. The used Ebay reg will probably cost you around $200 after you pay for service before you are ready to dive it.

That being said I have purchased a regulator on Ebay, and I am quite happy with it. My wants were fairly specific. I was looking for another regulator like the one I already owned, Unfortunately this exact configuration is no longer available new. My use for the second reg is on a pony, or stage bottle, or on the second post of doubles. This regulator is not often used, so I am quite willing to extend the service interval from once a year to once every 2 years or so. I am planning to eventually "retire" both of these regulators to strictly stage bottle use, and get new (read expensive) regs for my backgas. The regs I have now are approved by the US Navy for depths to 195 feet, so at the depth of 150 feet (the maximum depth I am currently rated to dive) they have been more than adequate. I also verified this with US Divers when I was preparing to take the Decompression class.

If you want somthing very specific and it is not available new, I would suggest Ebay. If you want somthing very specific and it is really expensive new and you are comfortable with the increased long term maintenance costs, Ebay is worth considering. If you only want an inexpensive regulator, and plan on diving to recreational depths, and will probably only keep that regulator for a few years any way, then buy new from a dive shop and in a few years SELL that regulator on Ebay!

Mark Vlahos

Many sellers, especially those who sell new equipment, repost the same item over and over again. I would keep that in mind if someone outbids you.

I looked up a seller's online shop and found an item they had posted on E-Bay for the exact same price as their starting bid.

I recently saw someone pay more for a dive computer that was being sold without the manual than it could have been purchased at Leisure Pro and some other online discount stores.

Finally, I noticed that items may be new but they're a previous year's model. That's usually fine as long as you know and aren't expecting a feature that's only on the latest model.

I've also seen and gotten some GREAT deals and quality equipment.

I guess what I failed to state is that I am looking at the sets that are around $150. If I buy a new reg for $150 I still need the Octo and gauges. I was talking about the used sets you see on Ebay. I realize that I would have to get it serviced. This is a solution till I graduate and get a real job. These are examples of what I mean.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16056&item=3688475127&rd=1

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16056&item=3688885537&rd=1

I seem to see the SE sets often. Are these good regs?

Those were good regs for their time, but by the time you have it serviced after buying it, it could cost you well over $200.
My buddy gave me a Conshelf XIV. It worked fine when he gave it to me, but it had not been serviced in a few years. It ended up costing $180 to have it serviced. They had replaced several of the brass parts due to excessive corrosion.
The 1st stage was identical to the one shown on the SE.

Also, that 1st stage's HP port is a 3/8" port. You aren't going to find an HP hose to fit it now that HP has gone to 7/16"... you'll need an adapter. Current regs use 3/8" for LP and 7/16" for HP.
There are only three LP ports... if you ever switch to a drysuit, you'll be short one port, and the "best" resolution would be to replace the BC inflator with an Air2, which would allow you to eliminate the octo. The only other solution would be a swivel adapter that splits to two ports.

Neither HP or LP option is desirable.

The best use for these 1st stages today is as an argon reg for drysuit inflation... no SPG needed, just an inflator hose and OPV. You can dial the IP down with a quarter.

Just don't buy a Dacor reg, for heaven's sake.

I'm currently looking for a new regulator so your links are a great place to start. Thanks!

redkev:
buy a new acceptable reg with a warranty...for around that price via the internet
www.scubatoys.com
Mares MR12 Axis-Special Sale Price!-$133.95

or a good new reg without the manufacturer's warranty from
www.leisurepro.com
Oceanic Alpha 7 SP4 Piston Regulator, Black Product Price $144.95USD

The Oceanic has received glowing reviews from www.divernet.com and www.scubadiving.com as the best budget reg available. The Mares also has received positive reviews.

A used reg of unknown origin should be serviced before using. This will cost somewhere in the vicinity of $25 to $50 depending on the price of the parts. Remember to factor that in when you are buying a used reg.

I am not associated with any of the companies mentioned above but I have dealt with both Scubatoys and Leisurepro.

Depends on which dacor reg. Stay away from anything that says Pacer. They breathe well, but there are no more parts. Viper metals breathe great, but some people don't like the side mounted exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom