Good regulators that are cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry you didn't get the Apeks....it has a higher performance 1st stage than the Titan. The 2nd's are both made by Apeks and are functionally the same.

Having used Apeks (buddies have them) and owning both AL Legend and AL Titan LX and (about 50 others) I can say that I seriously doubt you see much if any real difference between these three at depths to 200 feet and certainly not at sport diving depths of 100 or so. Aside from a certain "snob" appeal and a price four times greater than the LP price of 174 dollars I don't see any functional difference. Go to the AL website and view their own breathing WOB charts for the Legend vs the Titan LX, not a hill of beans difference between any of them and certainly at great depths the Titan might lag but how many dives below 150 feet are you planning on? The Titan LX is not the best, but it is the biggest bang for the buck as long as you shop deals.

Edit---checked price today, now it is 199.95, still a smoking deal.

N

Ok,since I see so many opions here,and all seem to be fair and honest.I would like to ask about everyones opinion on Aeris AT400 reg/ XR2 console.Cheap? useable? Will it last?I am a beginner and learning.No ice involved......Thanks

I was actually comparing the US4 1st stage to the Titan and not the more expensive Legends, 100s or 200s.

You've already gotten some great answers, but if you want a used regulator, get an Aqualung Conshelf. You can get any number of them from this year to 1965 and they all take the same parts kits, so they are all easily rebuilt. I rebuilt one the other day on my porch, and dove it at the shop today. It held rock solid at 140 psi of IP. I paid 50 bucks for it. You can find a good one on the net for around 100 bucks, and figure on 80 bucks to have a shop overhaul it. That's a solid, balanced diaphragm regulator that is US Navy approved to 190 feet of seawater. There's not too many regs you can find in that price range that are Navy approved.

I started with AL Titan LX adjustables, good reg. I then bought Dive Rite Hurricanes at above mentioned cheap prices. No comparison, much better. The hurricanes are top of the line tech regs from a tech based company, the beauty is they are completely backwards compatible for basic warm water diving. I looked at hundreds of regs before I went tech and stopped on the hurricanes. For recreational diving I recommend a set of hurricanes with a rite source. At the moment that will cost you US$568. This set up will give you great diving now and if you decide to take your diving further you can take these regs with you, no pesky free flowing yellow hose back up with the rite source. Nice and stream lined, relatively cheap and good quality gear.

Hey guys, I know that regs are very important and I shouldn't go for cheap ones, but I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. I'm gonna go reg hunting with a mate later today and was wondering what you'd recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but is still high quality. BTW I won't be diving in any extremes (i.e. very deep or very cold water).

I did a little research the other day and found out that Aqua Lung's Calypso XP and ScubaPro's MK2 Plus/R295 were pretty good value for money. What would you guys recommend I should get?

Call us for UNBEATABLE pricing on the following regulators that won't break the bank:

Dive Rite RG3000ICE
Cressi Ellipse Steel MC5
Deep Outdoors Silver Prophet

I dive the RG3000 myself... flawless and can not be beaten for the money

All three are terrific perfomers...

Forgot to mention the very best low cost regulator out there...

We have these too...

Scubapro MK2 R190... these were the very first regs I bought 12 years ago. I have dove with them all over the world.. as deep as 130ft in 42F water temps. I never experienced a free-flow and have never had any problem with them at all... back then they cost about $229... today, we and other competitors sell them for as low as $169.95.

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles... but it is durable, dependable and just plain unbeatable for this price range.... about 1/2 the RG3000 price.

Like the OP, I have no intention of diving very deep or anything close to cold. My local dive shop recommended the AquaLung Titan. It's not cheap, but neither is a funeral. My regulator is the last place I'd try to save money.

Hey guys, I know that regs are very important and I shouldn't go for cheap ones, but I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. I'm gonna go reg hunting with a mate later today and was wondering what you'd recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but is still high quality. BTW I won't be diving in any extremes (i.e. very deep or very cold water).

I did a little research the other day and found out that Aqua Lung's Calypso XP and ScubaPro's MK2 Plus/R295 were pretty good value for money. What would you guys recommend I should get?

Aqualung Titan!!!!!!!!!!!!!
best way you can go.
i have owned a titan ever sence i started diving and i have no reason to give it up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom