Good Time to Dive in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found it amusing that on Monday, there was a fellow at Lobos who wanted to do some time-lapse photography work. He and his buddy, both on rebreathers, entered the water AFTER Claudette and I did, and set up in the sand channel. They saw us come back and start our deco, but they aborted their dive because they were too cold to stay. These guys live and dive in Monterey, but they're not used to those temperatures. I am, and had the insulation and argon to deal with it. Claudette's just crazy :)

i love how you guys just jack this dude's thread to talk about your personal water temp experiences. so funny. hey sammyman, if you wanna dive monterey, now's the time. conditions are good right now and will generally stay that way into the fall. you can rent gear in monterey right on cannery row.

If you want to dive wet in water that cold you need an M&B wetsuit out of long beach. I dive on the North Coast and we have water that cold more often than Monterey gets a cold hit.
I learned from the commercial urchin divers about what type of wetsuit works best for ice cold water. They will work 4 to 6 hours a day in water 44 to 46 degrees. They don't go home and cry to mommy when it gets cold. They order suits from 9 mil up to 13 mil.

I ordered a 1/2" two piece beaver tail which has an attached hood and 3/4 zip up the front. I've had the suit down in 44 degree water and didn't feel a thing on my body. My hands and face froze but diving in that suit is like diving in a hot tub.
I tried a drysuit for a while and I didn't like it.
Even though I paid about $1000 for my 1/2" M&B, I still think it's a better value then a drysuit. Spending $2500 for a decent drysuit not including underwear is not in my budget, especially when the cost doesn't stop there when you include replaced zippers, seals, pinhole leaks, and missed dives because of issues.

Hey, ZKY, how much weight do you take with 1/2 inch suite, if you don't mind asking?

Hey, ZKY, how much weight do you take with 1/2 inch suite, if you don't mind asking?

I use a 4lb.- 4oz s/s Freedom Plate (the one you see in my avatar), either a Steel HP 100 or HP 120 or older LP steel 72's, and a 38 lb. weight belt.
I suppose I could integrate some weight on the rig somewhere and take a little off my belt but a weightbelt works fine. I'm used to it.

Getting back to the OP's original question about where to rent a wetsuit. I second the suggestion about going to Glenn's Aquarius II on the Breakwater. Glenn's great guy and a good friend.

Sorry about the hijack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom