Good way to mount a quick deploy sausage/reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you suface 100 feet in front of a go fast doing 50 kts, an SMB can not only be an effective means of getting the boat driver's attention (assuming that he's even facing in the direction that his boat is speeding), but can also be used as a cushion to help mitigate the blow.

LOL... That would surely help..

Ya know, 100 feet in front of a go-fast would give you enough time to kiss yer asss goodbye. :D

If you suface 100 feet in front of a go fast doing 50 kts, an SMB can not only be an effective means of getting the boat driver's attention (assuming that he's even facing in the direction that his boat is speeding), but can also be used as a cushion to help mitigate the blow.
At best, it could mean the difference between an open and closed casket.

At best, it could mean the difference between an open and closed casket.

Well there you go. Kevin was a big help! :wink:

Maybe someone should invent a canister mounted to the side of their cylinder where an SMB is shot to the surface in an instant when needed. Just press a button and WHOOOOSH! There it goes! :popcorn:

Why does one want to "quick deploy" this thing?

The SMB itself doesn't deploy any more quickly or differently than any other one. It's just packaged in a mesh bag with an open end that makes it easy to get the smb/reel out of storage easily, while still keeping everything in place when being worn on the bc. No pockets, clips, etc need to be manipulated to remove the smb from its pouch. Other than that, it's just a decent, normal smb/reel assembly.

I use the Zeagle Quick Deploy system for my DAN safety sausage and reel.
I do as well. However I got a question, how did you fit the DAN SMB into the quick deploy? The DAN SMB is great but huge! Below is how I fit mine in....

I bought the quick deploy w/ my BC and a couple months later picked up a DAN SMB. The SMB did not fit w/ out some changes. On the SMB I cut off all the plastic tabs and removed all the safety stuff (whistle, glow stick, and mirror) so it would fold up as small as possible (tight fit into the bag...). I then put a SS split ring on the SMB where the plastic clip used for the attachment point. To attach to my BC I just clip the split ring to my lower BC D-Ring with a caribiner that I always keep attached to the lower BC D-Ring. To deploy under water with a spool I keep the a bolt snap tied to the end of the string on the spool. I connect the split ring on the SMB to the bolt snap on the spool. Also when I fold the SMB up to get it into the quick deploy I have to carefully fold it tight to get it in. I then put the spool in last w/ the bolt clip hanging out attached to the quick deploy so I don't accidentally lose my spool when taking it out.

I have my safety sausage (or as I call it DSMB) stored in my drysuit leg pocket. The DSMB is connected to the reel and is ready to go when I need to deploy it. I've tried having it all bungied together and clipped on to a D-Ring on my BCD but TBH I've found that more trouble than this worth - unlike with a harness set up I can't move the d-rings and they are all in really stupid positions.

As a general context question, I'm continually amazed to hear about people who don't have a DSMB as part of their general diving kit. Also as a boat handler, unless I'm diving in a shipping channel (at which point you are talking about mandatory return to shot, with a deco trapeze if the there is a strong current) I'd much rather each buddy pair releases a DSMB and ascends on that. I've got a clear point of reference in the water for each pair, and can count off each pair as safely left the wreck. In fact a lot of the commercial skippers in the UK make it mandatory to use a DSMB.

As for the person who said about having a mechanism where you crack a bottle and it deploys straight from your BCD, having been on a dive and had to let go of my reel because it has jammed when deploying the DSMB I'd never use such a piece of kit. Too much of a risk of an uncontrolled ascent. (To answer the obvious question, its easy to tell if a DSMB on the surface isn't connected by a line to divers. It drifts a lot quicker, or alternatively if it is snagged stays still. Worst case you pootle over and give it a quick tug at which point its obvious that someone isn't holding on to it. Goes without saying that you let them know that a single tug on the line isn't anything to be concerned about though..:wink:

I do as well. However I got a question, how did you fit the DAN SMB into the quick deploy? The DAN SMB is great but huge! Below is how I fit mine in....

I bought the quick deploy w/ my BC and a couple months later picked up a DAN SMB. The SMB did not fit w/ out some changes. On the SMB I cut off all the plastic tabs and removed all the safety stuff (whistle, glow stick, and mirror) so it would fold up as small as possible (tight fit into the bag...). I then put a SS split ring on the SMB where the plastic clip used for the attachment point. To attach to my BC I just clip the split ring to my lower BC D-Ring with a caribiner that I always keep attached to the lower BC D-Ring. To deploy under water with a spool I keep the a bolt snap tied to the end of the string on the spool. I connect the split ring on the SMB to the bolt snap on the spool. Also when I fold the SMB up to get it into the quick deploy I have to carefully fold it tight to get it in. I then put the spool in last w/ the bolt clip hanging out attached to the quick deploy so I don't accidentally lose my spool when taking it out.

I posted pix of my modifications and setup here: buying add on D-rings/webbing - Scuba Forum - Scuba Diving Forums and Discussion Board

I have my safety sausage (or as I call it DSMB) stored in my drysuit leg pocket. The DSMB is connected to the reel and is ready to go when I need to deploy it. I've tried having it all bungied together and clipped on to a D-Ring on my BCD but TBH I've found that more trouble than this worth - unlike with a harness set up I can't move the d-rings and they are all in really stupid positions.

As a general context question, I'm continually amazed to hear about people who don't have a DSMB as part of their general diving kit. Also as a boat handler, unless I'm diving in a shipping channel (at which point you are talking about mandatory return to shot, with a deco trapeze if the there is a strong current) I'd much rather each buddy pair releases a DSMB and ascends on that. I've got a clear point of reference in the water for each pair, and can count off each pair as safely left the wreck. In fact a lot of the commercial skippers in the UK make it mandatory to use a DSMB.

As for the person who said about having a mechanism where you crack a bottle and it deploys straight from your BCD, having been on a dive and had to let go of my reel because it has jammed when deploying the DSMB I'd never use such a piece of kit. Too much of a risk of an uncontrolled ascent. (To answer the obvious question, its easy to tell if a DSMB on the surface isn't connected by a line to divers. It drifts a lot quicker, or alternatively if it is snagged stays still. Worst case you pootle over and give it a quick tug at which point its obvious that someone isn't holding on to it. Goes without saying that you let them know that a single tug on the line isn't anything to be concerned about though..:wink:

Nice post. I agree every diver should have some sort of marker be it a lift bag or long SMB.

A couple questions come to mind, and I'm not being critical, just curious.

Why would you tolerate a harness with poorly placed "D" rings? A single webbing allows one to place "D" rings where they're supposed to be.

You mentioned having your SMB attached to a "real" when it jammed up. A spool is so much smaller and less prone to such a foul up, why not use a spool instead of a real?

Why would you tolerate a harness with poorly placed "D" rings? A single webbing allows one to place "D" rings where they're supposed to be.

Because at the moment I don't use a backplate and wing. My primary set up is twin independent 12L cylinders on a buddy commando. I tolerate it the d-rings for the same reason that I tolerate twin independents over a manifolded set: I don't have $1000 spare to buy more kit.

You mentioned having your SMB attached to a "real" when it jammed up. A spool is so much smaller and less prone to such a foul up, why not use a spool instead of a real?

Partially because half my diving is instructing divers or taking less experienced divers in for dives. I agree that a spool would be a lot less cumbersome, and less likely to tangle. The flip side is that IMHO the DSMB deployment should be reflex, and I've not spent enough time using a spool to be at that point.

Back
Top Bottom