GoPro 3 Video from Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cam F

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
used dualgrips fro backscatter for stability and red filter for colour. Edited with I movie

[video=youtube_share;ljCPkpDokwQ]http://youtu.be/ljCPkpDokwQ[/video]

Very cool. We were down in May, diving with Kurt and Police. Loved your coverage of the Throne Room, which is best dove through the chimney.

Thanks, now we have to go back, again!

I used to dive all he sites in Negril back in the 70s and 80s with Cecil Brown's Blue Whale Divers. In summer I'd stay for weeks.

The UW scenery and topography was very different then, but I'm glad to see that some of it's still there, however deteriorated. The Throne Room was one of my favorites because of the large numbers of Atlantic Long Nosed Butterfly Fish that could always be found there. We always went in from the top, exited at the bottom.

I very much enjoyed seeing a place that I have not been to in nearly 30 years. I long ago lost touch with Cecil and his lovely family. They lived out towards Sav. I wonder if Kurt is the same person I once knew as part of a two man marine aquarium collecting team, back when it was legal.

It's a different Kurt, this guy is pretty young, well younger than me anyway. Glad you enjoyed seeing the sites again. Really appreciate the replies

agillis I live near Sav I will ask around and see if the Browns are still about

Ibj40 I was at the throne room again yesterday and I think the footage looks better will try and get it uploaded in a few days. Leaving Jamaica myself now after 3 months so it will be a while before I re visit them. Going to the Philippines next!

Cam,

Did you ever find anything out about Cecil Brown and his "Blue Whale" dive operation? He was pretty much the only independent non-hotel connected operation in Negril during its glory days, the mid- 70s through the 80s. There were still fisherman making a living down the southern end of the beach, before they built the craft village. I've heard Cecil hung on into the 90s. Then the killings started, the German owner of LTU was murdered, all sorts of things began to go wrong.

As conditions in Negril deteriorated both in the sea and on land he often spoke of relocating. He's probably retired by now, possibly even in the states. I think the owners of the dive shop that opened up near the Negril Yacht Club may have had some connection with Cecil at some point.

Cecil was the best known, most competent, and only totally independent dive operator in Negril for years, and came under a lot of economic pressure when they started to build the super clubs. I checked with PADI; they told me he let his instructor's license lapse about 10 years ago.

After the offshore reefs died and the broad natural sandy beaches eroded away I stopped visiting Negril, especially after the place became crowded with peel-nose tourists. It was my favorite place once. I still visit it in dreams.

Back
Top Bottom