GoPro Anti-Fog inserts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While somewhere like Mexico, The trick is to NOT open the door while outside or where ever there is humidity. I only open it in my hotel room with the AC on and have never had any issues with fog. Mind you I only have 12 50min dives on the Hero2.

From Another source:

The camera and housing have some moisture in them that they absorb from the air. Once the housing is closed and the camera starts heating up by it's normal operation, that water vapor "turns loose" and starts condensating on the coldest possible surface: the inner surface of the housing. There are things you can do to keep this from happening:

1. Anti-fog inserts: These are a must. Besides the GoPro brand, there are other third party options that are made of the exactly same material, please check on eBay under "fogfree inserts". They are made of silica embedded paper and can absorb a lot of moisture. Can be reused many times after being "baked" to evaporate any moisture that was absorbed. Don't fold them!
  2. Store the camera somewhere dry: By dry, I mean, as dry as possible. It will keep it from absorbing more and more moisture. Mine stays in the housing all the time (unless when charging), with the fogfree inserts in there. I replace the inserts by "freshly baked" inserts before I use.
  3. Avoid opening the housing: It will let moisture in, as simple as that.

I use those :wink1:

"small silica gel packs" as in them small packs with the a hundred balls in them? How do they work? how long could one use them for?

I get them from my pharmacy for free. I just ask them to save me the smallest ones they get in their bulk medications and sort out the ones that work from the ones that don't. I also use the larger ones and put them in a ziploc bag with the camera and housing when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom