GoPro camera question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raskous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all

I have a question concerning the GoPro HD camera.
I've searched the forum and I found out some of you already tried it, i've also read that it gets some focus problems underwater.
Now apparently from what I read, the basic model of the camera (not the Hero Wide HD) doesn't have that problem.

Now my concern is, on the gopro website, i can only find one model, the GoPro Hero HD, they have several kits with it, but they're basically all the same, and all Wide.

The one i'm considering buying is the GoPro HD Hero 960, is that the one you guys call the basic Hero HD model? Is that one also known for underwater focus problem (it seems to be using the same case but i'm not sure about the lens)

Anyone using the HD Hero 960?

Any info you guys can share would be awesome.
Thanks

HI

The HD Hero 960 is a new model only recently developed.

All the camera's with current GoPro casings has the focus problem currently, it is just less noticeable on the Wide because it is not HD.

The problem is with the casings dome lens. GoPro is currently busy developing a Underwater casing with a flat lens, but until then there are a couple of ways to get past this with modified casings and lenses, that works very good.

I will second that the focus issue is a result of the housing, not the camera. I currently have a flat replacement lens that is OK, but I am considering trying the eyeofmine housing too.

As for the 960 model, it was discussed recently here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/357497-my-first-underwater-videos-gopro-hero-hd-3.html

There are three models of camera, Hero Wide, Hero HD 960 and Hero HD. When you go to the products page on the GoPro website they are listed on the right side of the page under "HD Cameras:Wide Lens" and "Standard Def Cameras: Wide Lens."

One thing to consider is that the 'wide' refers to the wide angle lens, not nessessarily a widescreen format. On the HD Hero, the only one I am familiar with, you can choose from widescren 16:9 (1080p and 720p) or the standard 4:3 (960p) formats.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies.
On that post you linked there's mention of a flat lens from freedivingspearfishinggear, included with the Naked HD for the same price.
I've asked in the other tread for feedback on it..

I left feedback there on what I believe to be a near identical product which I am currently using.

No, you can mount it with the provided tape/velcro strap or hold the base.

I use the GoPro head mount and secure that with my wetsuits hoodie.
So my hands are free and the hole dive is recorded where I was looking.

Some gopro footage in MAldives with home made flat lens
youtube search for "l'effet goro"
connot put URL because i haven't post 5 times...
have a nice time
Chris

Back
Top Bottom