GoPro Cavern dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok here it is: Just got the Hero 2 with GoPro's dive housing. I will be doing my first dive with it this weekend. Dive will be near 100' in cavern environment, and all light will be coming from two 600 Lumen Trustfire torches mounted with the Go Pro on the Mako AR15 pistol grip gig. The question is what setting is reccommended for this application? I see the manual says to turn on the "spot meter" setting when "filming from a dark setting into a brighter setting". Does this qualify?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just tried making a video in the dark (above water) with the above setup, and when filming anything closer that ten feet the inner 1' radius was completely bleached out by the light. Possible too much light and should consider going to medium or dim settings on the torches while in the drink?

Last edited:
Try spreading your lights and directing them outwards a bit so that the inside edges of the beams just "kiss" each other lightly and don't overlap.

Sounds like your lights have narrow beams instead of wide angle. Your camera is wide angle, you should use flood lights instead of spot lights.

These Trustfire torches are tactical lights, their lightbeams are way too narrow for a GoPro...

Try spreading your lights and directing them outwards a bit so that the inside edges of the beams just "kiss" each other lightly and don't overlap.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice.

---------- Post Merged at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:35 AM ----------

Sounds like your lights have narrow beams instead of wide angle. Your camera is wide angle, you should use flood lights instead of spot lights.

These Trustfire torches are tactical lights, their lightbeams are way too narrow for a GoPro...

Yea, they are fairly narrow beams, although not nearly as narrow as my Intova torches. Any suggestions for this Mako setup? Or did I just start out with a BS platform and need to go back to the drawing board

i4k2mq.jpg
d?

Here's the diffuser I'm experimenting with:

diffuser-on-light.jpg

Basically a piece of flourescent light diffuser cut into a disk and held in place by a bit of bicycle tire inner tube.

diffuser-on-light.jpg

Basically a piece of flourescent light diffuser cut into a disk and held in place by a bit of bicycle tire inner tube.

Very interesting. Maybe I can throw something together and give it a dive tomarrow.

---------- Post Merged at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:18 PM ----------

diffuser-on-light.jpg

Well, the garage light is now missing a diffuser but maybe I'll get some usable footage of tomarrow's dive. Took your method, but didn't have a bicycle tube laying around, so I went a little more precision and used just a tiny bit of what will (hopefully) be easy to remove silicone glue. Have you tried yours yet?

2mrd76a.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom