GOPRO Dive Housing Flooding Poll

Has your GoPro Dive Housing Flooded

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a brand new Hero2 flood a few months ago. Like you I am a meticulous photographer and cleaned and checked all my seals before closing. The latch seemed tight and everything well fitted. Camera flooded at not even 10 meters and camera was destroyed. I wrote to GP support and they claimed "we don't have any problems with our housings flooding and it is the "user's fault". After several emails they finally said they would give me $150 off a "new" similar camera. Well, it was a holiday gift and I wasn't so impressed with the camera to fork over the balance. I'll go back to my old cannon DSLR setup. Thanks for the poll.

fstbttms.... This was my first poll and I didn't know what I was doing....
So apparently I have been busted by the "Polling Police"
However, some people have the ability to use some common sense and write their opinions down....
You either have something to say or your don't....

OK... I've read quite a few posts about housing flooding, and on my last trip I had a brand new gopro dive housing flood,
even with a rubber band over the clip as insurance. I would like to know who else has had problems with this. It seems GP may have a flaw. I ordered 2 and when they came I notice the clips would jiggle a bit when locked and compared to my other gp housings I considered them a bit loose so I sent them back. I was told by the supplier that nothing was wrong with them and they shouldn't flood and they sent them back. Lo and behold I destroyed a camera. I am maticulous, and there was absolutely no debris in the seal that could have cause the breech. What is your experience?

---------- Post added June 1st, 2013 at 11:14 AM ----------

Well the poll I created didn't turn out like I expected...just let me know in the thread. Thanks

My brand new Hero 3 Black also flooded - second day of my long anticipated dive trip to Roatan. Shot one great day of footage. Day 2 - first dive was great. Surfaced and got back in a few hours later - never opened the camera nor was it dropped / damaged in any way. At the then of dive 2, it was flooded. Gone forever.

Any chance GoPro would see this as a legitimate warranty issue? I can see how it would be a tough call for them - my word vs. theirs. Thoughts?

Count me in gopro2 dive housing 10 meters ,gone

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I flooded my GoPro Hero3 Black Edition last Sunday. I was filming blue and mako sharks at the surface via a long pole from the boat deck. Shot off and on for several hours before I noticed it had turned off. When I inspected it, I notice the housing was full of salt water. While I can say that several sharks did grab onto the housing, the housing was still shut and there are no signs of visible damage on the housing. The o-rings look good and I can recreate the flooding at home. Not sure why it flooded unless show how it partially opened when a shark grabbed it, but sealed itself again once it was let go?

On a positive note, I was able to save the camera. Although I had limited resources for several hours still being on the boat, I simply pulled the battery and memory card and stuck everything in the zip lock bag containing my spare GoPro Anti-Fog inserts. Once we got back to shore, I immediately went to the closest grocery store and bough a package of rice and zip lock bags. I placed everything again into the zip lock bag filled with rice.

When I got back home 2 days later, I tried to power it on. The red light flashed on and off and I could hear an electronic sound from the unit, but no luck. Since it had been flooded with sea water and it wasn't powering on a few days later, I decided to take more drastic measures. I took the entire GoPro apart (pulled the front cover off and removed the four screws allowing me to pull the inside apart from its plastic case). I then dunked all the parts (electronics and all) into a bowl of white vinegar to stop the corrosive process from the salt water. I swished the vinegar around for about 15 seconds. Then I quickly air dried the GoPro and stuck everything back into a bag of rice for another 5 days. Today I opened the bag, removed any residual rice from the GoPro, reassembled it, inserted a fresh battery, and it powered on :D

I've tested it shooting video and it worked. Since I'm not an electronics expert and can't assure this will work for you, try at your own risk. However, if all else fails, I'd give this a shot before you throw it away.

Taking the GoPro out again for another day of sharks, so we'll see how it does long term.

I have about 150 dives with my HERO 2...some down to 180 feet....never a flood nor even a drop of water....

We have not brought the Go Pro 3 due to all the accessories we have for the Go Pro 2, which are not a match for the the 3.

We were a bit disappointed in their response to our problems even after seeing that great 60 minutes interview on tv prior to losing both of our Go Pro 2's...

Don't get me wrong we love our Go Pro 2 and use it all the time it probably the best action camera that we had ever owned...
JUST an FYI...not sure what accessories you have, but both the battery backpack and LCD back pack from the HERO 2 will work on the HERO 3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom