Informal poll on Lost GoPros ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've seen quite a bit of posts about people losing their GoPro since the little cameras were introduced.

much more than other cameras for sure,

I was just curious to those who have lost them, How did it happen? To the best of your knowledge of course. I realize some people just get on the boat and realize they don't have it anymore.

But, what type of mount were you using? pole? headmount? wrist strap?

I had it drilled into my brain when I used to rent cameras to NEVER let the camera out of your sight, or out of your hands, even if you have a lanyard.

This year I used a GP for the first time. I used it on a pole, but just like my other camera, when not using it, I kept in my vision.

Next trip I'm going to work on attaching the GoPro to the hot shoe connection on my still camera housing, & adding a video light to the mix, so I can take both cameras with me on a dive.

... those who usually expect a trip report from me, may have noticed the May report has never surfaced. ... I've been super busy since I've been back, not to mention the eye surgery, with another one coming up in a couple weeks, and am now just getting to editing all the video I shot. ... hopefully results will be posted on the Shark Tank blog soon ...

From watching other people’s mishaps: Never…Never use a lanyard that comes on the handle of a selfie stick to secure the rig to your BCD or your wrist. The lanyards break and you are then posting a lost camera report on SB. The better method is a good secure pouch to keep it in when not in use. If you are going to clip it to you then tie a good small loop of bungee cord between the pivot mount base the case mount bolt and then clip it to yourself via a double ender. This is much more secure method of carrying it so that it’s not dangling out there screaming ‘snag me’. On exit from a boat into the water, keep your hand on it and when getting on a boat hand it up first. Leaving it attached while going up a ladder or while your rig is being hauled up is just asking for problems.

They do sell a floatie one can attach to them!

I have been using the Jaws Clamp from Go Pro. When I am not using it I clamp it to the my BC, I also have lanyard on it for extra protection. The clamp makes a good handle as well. I don't use the camera near as much as I used to but this set up lets me bring it along without having to worry about it too much. You never know when that 18' hammerhead is going to show up. The one and only shark I have seen in Cozumel, besides nurse sharks, I had my Go Pro, turned it on, pressed the button, and got the "no SD card message".

I use a UK Pole. The lanyard is more that enough to keep it attached to my wrist the entire dive. Never lost it or come close.

As to mounting on your camera, check out this guys rig.....he had it set up with camera, strobes, gopro black, video lights AND UV lights. Most impressive rig I have seen. Worked great too as he would record the dive and anything he shot with camera was also now a HQ video. Guys could flat out dive too.....amazing flipper control etc. Was NOT a dozer like most of the idiots with camera I see lol!

An octopus tried to wrestle my GoPro away from me. Wonder if he had a collection?

I made the selfy stick positively buoyant in case it got away from me.

A free diver on the boat next to us lost his GoPro and I tried to find it but the terrain made it very difficult and had no luck.

I lost my Hero3+ while diving on Jurassic Park this past May, but not in the way you might think. I changed the battery before the dive and didn't notice that I had pinched the gasket. By the time I leveled off and went to start the camera, it was completely flooded. Afterwards I tried everything but I only ever got it to work for about 3 minutes before it no longer would register the micro-sd card. :-(

Lol.....I had mine mounted down by my front wheel of my motorcycle....an hour or so into the ride, I looked down and saw a few feathers where the GoPro was mounted to.....:(

Chit happens.

Last edited:
didn't notice that I had pinched the gasket

I "lost" one this way as well. Pinched a few fibers in the gasket 2 yrs ago.
Lesson learned.
Last year I lost a new video light during the splash.
Lesson learned.
I don't sweat the small stuff and consider myself lucky that is all that has gone wrong during 3 2 week vacations and 60+ dives on Coz.
Back for 2 more weeks in 51 days...
I will look out for gear while looking for critters to film, er video. (Showing my age)
The wife and I only found Coz. 3 yrs ago and consider it paradise.
Happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom