GOPRO Dive Housing Flooding Poll

Has your GoPro Dive Housing Flooded

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I flooded my GoPro Hero3 Black Edition last Sunday. I was filming blue and mako sharks at the surface via a long pole from the boat deck. Shot off and on for several hours before I noticed it had turned off. When I inspected it, I notice the housing was full of salt water. While I can say that several sharks did grab onto the housing, the housing was still shut and there are no signs of visible damage on the housing. The o-rings look good and I can recreate the flooding at home. Not sure why it flooded unless show how it partially opened when a shark grabbed it, but sealed itself again once it was let go?

On a positive note, I was able to save the camera. Although I had limited resources for several hours still being on the boat, I simply pulled the battery and memory card and stuck everything in the zip lock bag containing my spare GoPro Anti-Fog inserts. Once we got back to shore, I immediately went to the closest grocery store and bough a package of rice and zip lock bags. I placed everything again into the zip lock bag filled with rice.

When I got back home 2 days later, I tried to power it on. The red light flashed on and off and I could hear an electronic sound from the unit, but no luck. Since it had been flooded with sea water and it wasn't powering on a few days later, I decided to take more drastic measures. I took the entire GoPro apart (pulled the front cover off and removed the four screws allowing me to pull the inside apart from its plastic case). I then dunked all the parts (electronics and all) into a bowl of white vinegar to stop the corrosive process from the salt water. I swished the vinegar around for about 15 seconds. Then I quickly air dried the GoPro and stuck everything back into a bag of rice for another 5 days. Today I opened the bag, removed any residual rice from the GoPro, reassembled it, inserted a fresh battery, and it powered on :D

I've tested it shooting video and it worked. Since I'm not an electronics expert and can't assure this will work for you, try at your own risk. However, if all else fails, I'd give this a shot before you throw it away.

Taking the GoPro out again for another day of sharks, so we'll see how it does long term.

Wish I'd seen this last year, flooded my GoPro2 last year in Bahamas (also sharks oddly enough). GoPro told me to pound sand, wouldn't even entertain repair at my expense, I now have a GoPro3 which is yet to flood but I don't intend on taking it shark diving either!

Wish I'd seen this last year, flooded my GoPro2 last year in Bahamas (also sharks oddly enough). GoPro told me to pound sand, wouldn't even entertain repair at my expense, I now have a GoPro3 which is yet to flood but I don't intend on taking it shark diving either!

I took my new GP 3+ Black edition to Cozumel. First day no problem, great video with the SRP red filter. The second day, I inserted a couple anti-fog strips, closed up the case and headed to the dive boat. Once on, I put the rig into the bucket of fresh water while getting set up. Looked down and noticed the camera on, so reached in to turn it off and noticed the housing flooded. The inserts had pushed the seal out just slightly and water went in. So I pulled it out, battery and all, (and its also raining too!) threw it into my gear bag and went diving. When I got back, plunged everything into a bag of rice and thats where it stayed for the rest of the vacation. Fortunately my wife's gp had no problem and we shot all our vids with it. After returning home, I could charge it, and the red light would come on, along with the display, but it was unresponsive to wifi or changing to different displays. Called gopro, told them up front what had happened and they are offering me a new camera at 40% off. Waiting to find out if its for the whole camera package or just for the camera. Kudos to those guys, it was my fault for not double and triple checking the seal. I've had great customer service with them so far.

I've taken my GoPro Hero 3 Black on approximately 35 dives as deep as 105 feet without any problems. I am very careful with it and attempt to pay attention to potential problems. None yet...

I bought my GoPro 3 Black from Best Buy and got the Geek Squad warranty. It covers flooding because the camera is designed for use underwater. On a recent trip, one of the mounting ears broke off when I removed it from my Octomask. GoPro said since it was not a GoPro mount, it was not covered. I brought it to Geek Squad, they not only replaced the housing, they upgraded it to the 3+ at no charge, since it cost what my 3 cost when I bought it. Two year warranty cost under $100, worth it to me.

I bought my GoPro 3 Black from Best Buy and got the Geek Squad warranty. It covers flooding because the camera is designed for use underwater. On a recent trip, one of the mounting ears broke off when I removed it from my Octomask. GoPro said since it was not a GoPro mount, it was not covered. I brought it to Geek Squad, they not only replaced the housing, they upgraded it to the 3+ at no charge, since it cost what my 3 cost when I bought it. Two year warranty cost under $100, worth it to me.

Did if you tell them it was flooded? I've had trouble with the accidental coverage on other items and some of the geeks said spilled on not flooded. I know the sales guy told me no matter what I did it would be covered but the geeks are just that and have a mind of there own. I flooded my hero 2 last week in Jamaica and will be taking it to best buy soon.

Yep. Ditto. Just bought a new cam at best buy and the geek squad offers warranty even for flooding. GOPRO is hugely lacking in this realm.

Yep. Ditto. Just bought a new cam at best buy and the geek squad offers warranty even for flooding. GOPRO is hugely lacking in this realm.

They covered it no questions asked. I was prepared to go to another store thou. I had trouble on other things where I finally got it taken care of after a few tries at different stores.

GoPro has quietly introduced the 200 ft housing with the safety latch which I've had at 180 feet. No flooding problems.
It's not clear if they send it out to customers who order the Touch BacPac, but some of my students attested to both scenarios, so GoPro's policy is not fixed yet.

by the way:
In the GoPro Underwater Videographer course that I teach for PADI, I talk about dodging condensation by avoiding 2 things:
-closing the camera in an air-conditioned room
-leaving the camera on for a whole dive
I've never used the inserts. They have caused flooding for people in this thread, so it's a risk if you are in a hurry when closing the housing.

I also warn my students to leave the housing open when flying, as it can warp a closed housing.
Join the Facebook Group for tips and tricks.

For info on the GoPro Underwater Videographer Course, visit: GoPro Video Underwater Videographer

[video=youtube;9Cer2nfZ1vM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cer2nfZ1vM&list=UUdeejMcnAdCzt6OJ7V__FEg[/video]

The solution completely avoid the housing to leak due to antifog inserts is extremely simple, takes a whole ONE second, requires 1 pair of eyes (one will do) and a functional brain: look at them before closing the housing.

If they are not below the lip on the housing where the o-ring will be once you close it, use another insert (or a coin, credit card, car keys - you name it) to push them further in, close the housing, smile and enjoy your dive.

Back
Top Bottom