GoPro Dive Housing Thread... Any Leaks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive had 50-100 dives with GoPro Hero and Hero2 cameras with multiple flat lenses from stock, occulus flat lens, eom single and 3D housing and most recent dives with the SRP blurfix. Max depth Ive taken it was 40m with the Blurfix no housing leaks other then a latch failure in the EOM 3D housing that killed 2 hero1 camera's.

This was caused by a playful sea lion that bumped the housing a few times that released the latch for a split second at only a few meters down, the latch is the weakest point of the design as it can looses at depth making it easier to unlatch as you get closer to the surface.

A rubber band over the latch preventing it from opening is a good safety tip, or at least take a look at it on your way up during your safety stop to ensure its properly shut. The housing wont open at depth due to the water pressure that causes the latch to loosen sometimes yet will keep the housing closed. As the pressure pushes the front and back of the housing together compressing the rubber gasket the latch may become looser and for some people it may be fully release the latch. Ive heard of multiple people who have had it open at the surface or getting back into the boat after a deeper dive.

GoPro original housing with BlurFix by Snake River Prototyping and LCD back.
Recently added Polar Pro red filter that fits inside of camera, so no possibility of leaking.
Been on at least two dozen dives with it, deepest was 68 feet.
After about 5 dives I had leaking where the BlurFix was attached. Water went into the chamber created by flat port.
Since the flat port attaches to the original housing, there was no damage done.
I remounted the BlurFix and used more sealant.
No problems since.

Now that I'm back from Bonaire and have used the GoPro Dive Housing...

12 dives
90-100 feet
Red filter
No leaks, but some minor condensation after the last dive (2 tiny water droplets)

I have had mine down to between 150-187 feet on several dives now, and have had no issues.

Snake River prototyping blurfix put together at factory
Clear 55mm filter
26meters max depth so far
14 dives
no leaks

GOPRO hero 2
5 dives, gopro dive housing, no filter. (Camera and housing brand new)
Approx 120' max
Hasn't leaked however the clasp does become loose under water and could easy become unlatched.
O-ring/seal is maintained by basic cleaning and lube.

-How many dives has the housing been on?
I have been on 16 + dives with two housings, each time.

-What was your max depth?

Typical 33' depth for 100 minutes. Max depth was 88'.

-Do you have a red filter (which requires unscrewing of the OE lens)?
About half of those dives are without internal filters. Then, I installed a magenta green water filter behind the glass lens on both dive housings. See the video below showing me installing one of the filters.

-Does it leak?
It does not leak, even after I have pulled it apart multiple times. However, I did have O.E. (operator error) and had one leak. The desiccant strips are white, the seal on the backdoor is white. I failed to notice, even after inspecting underwater, that the housing was leaking from the desiccant strip being caught in the door seal. Unit filled with water, but was noticed early by my dive buddy when the internal filter started to de-laminate off the lens. He surfaced, immediately took the battery off at our boat, and that day I took apart the GoPro camera and dried it in rice. It works to this day.

I find many hair ties from people cliff jumping in the areas I SCUBA dive. I started using elastic hair ties over the entire dive housing so as to keep the clasp locked in the down position and to keep the housing together. I did this as a precaution because of the reports on this board of it opening spontaneously. I also now inspect my housing very thoroughly prior to and during my dives.

Feel free to check out my other videos on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheWeekendDiver?feature=mhee
Thanks! - Nathan

[video=youtube_share;wHUOXCEO6D0]http://youtu.be/wHUOXCEO6D0[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom