GoPro HD Hero 2 or Contour GPS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to decide between these two cameras. Most of my diving is off NC in up to 115fsw. From what I've seen so far, the GoPro needs an aftermarket case to get clear images and the Contour needs one to go beyond 1m. Recommendation and reasons?

I have the GoPro Hero and a Hero 2 with the Sartek housing. GoPro is coming out with their own optically correct underwater housing soon. Per the response I have from them, I would expected it out in March. I would hold out for it if I were you. I saw the prototype at DEMA. It's a zero-vignette solution at any mode, and I expect it to be quite a bit less expensive than the 3rd party solutions.

Just reading your response here... I was thinking of picking up a Go Pro and came in here to see which one to get. If I'm reading correctly, it sounds like i should wait to purchase a GoPro until they come out with their new underwater housing. right??
Or is there a gopro that's good to get now, but then get additional housing later?
Hardly "need" this item, and can clearly wait. Thanks for your advice!

The Gopro camera is going to be the same the only difference is that there will be an official gopro housing that comes with a flat port, I use the Blurfix adpater which is the best around IMHO and will be hard for the official fix to beat it, the advantage of it is that the design allows easy use of filters. These filters do need to be verylow profile in order to be vignette free but are provided by SRP ground down to work best with the adapter.

The official fix is said to be 100% vignette free but here are screen shots of all the available HD2 video modes showing how the Blurfix adapter with provided URpro swcy filter does all direct screen grabs from my recent test uncropped and unedited.

Click the thumbnails for full size pics.

1080P modes vignette free

Wide Medium Narrow

960P modes slight vignetting

30P 48P

720P modes Vignette free

60P 30P

480P modes Vignette Free

60P 120P

11 megapixel wide photo mode Slight Vignetting

In the 2 modes that vignette its very slight you can barely see it the photo mode just has a few pixels in the right corner, 960P has a little more in each corner but hardly an issue IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom