GoPro HD Hero Dive housing- worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebird2XC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm the proud owner of a GoPro HD Hero. As the camera comes with a free waterproof housing (100+ ft) I'm wondering if the specialized dive housing really makes a difference...

I bought the cam primarily for diving use. Thoughts and input?

---------- Post Merged at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Actually, I just found this video, and therein found my answer...

[video=youtube_share;pVWOBbKLZJw]http://youtu.be/pVWOBbKLZJw[/video]

No point diving with a gopro and stock round lens housing its too blurry, the GoPro dive housing is the cheapest of the better flat lens options. They all have some pros and cons so you still may want to go with some alternatives. The gopro has the advantage of price over 3rd party fixes which have the advantage of more filter options for both underwater and land use.

You will still probably want to get a filter or lights if going much deeper then a few meters down. A premium filter will end up much cheaper then the most basic lights around $50-$80 and will make a huge boost to your footage down to around the 25m mark. Lights that will give any reasonable boost your looking at about $700+ for the bare minimum, good wide video lights and these only work to about 1.5m in daylight use. Even the most expensive high output wide video lights will only give a boost to a couple of meters from the light source, costing well into the thousands of dollars. These are great for close up shots but if you dont want to spend that much money and get pretty good underwater video in natural light I think a good filter is the way to go.

What exactly do you mean by 'a good filter'?

By good filter I mean one of the 2 premium branded filters from either URPro or Magic filters, these cost a little more then the generic red filter sheets but from what Ive seen give the best UW filter results, They are specifacally designed to filter out the dominant colours in the water and there are also various options for different types of water conditions.

There are plenty of generic "Red" filters but many of these take away too much light or dont filter out the proper shades for best end results, there is a price difference between these brands and the cheap generic ones but what I was trying to say but probably didn't come out as intended. Paying the little extra for the premium UW specialized brands is pretty good value compared to what you pay for video lights. In terms of results you will get much better bang for your buck with a good filter compared to a cheap light setup which will still cost 10x more then these premium filters.

Lights are still a great option and if you are willing to spend the money its great to have both lights and filters to choose from as they both are good in some conditions but not so great in others, but if money isnt growing on your trees and you want good results without emptying your savings account these premium filters will be a pretty good investment.

I have used the URPro filters with my GoPro's for quite a while using the Blurfix by SRP and have got great results with that setup, the results Ive seen from people using the magic filters and backscatter setups are the only other filter that gets comparable results. From what I have seen these dont hold up to deeper depths as the URPro range but in the shallower waters results are pretty good. I havent used them myself yet so I intend to do some comparison tests to see how they work as filters and general designs for ease of use underwater.

I will be doing a filter comparison between URPro, magic and a generic filter by Oculus for the gopro dive housing, Im just waiting on the magic filter to come in from backscatter. I'm mostly interested in comparing the URPro and magic filters at different depth levels and I also got the occulus one to see how a generic one stacks up to these 2. These 3 filter options are the only "good" options you will be able to buy IMHO, the URPro version by SRP is not for sale yet, I was just lucky enough to get an early test version to try out along with a few other testers around the world.

Its possible to get some basic cheap gel filter sheets and find a way to use them, but these most likely wont give as good a result and will be more cumbersome to use then those designed specifically for this housing. The real cheap ones you can get on ebay for a few dollars are worth a shot as your not going to lose much if they dont work well but I wouldn't spend too much money on them. If you intend to use it quite a bit getting a premium filter will give best results and be the easiest to use and the boost I have had with URPro filters on my GoPro's makes me not ever want to dive in daylight without one.

I just bought the GoPro designed Dive housing... and an Oculus strap-on filter. I'll be testing them in WPB and Curacao in a few weeks. I'm sure I'll have some great stuff to upload here when I get back. : )

PAFireFighter, what was your depth, and what is the cheapo filter (link?)?

TIA

The video is pretty good there by PAFireFighter, I love being amongst lots of fish and thats about as much as your going to get in one place.

I think that is the filter you need to unscrew the housing front lens to install. If you go that option make sure you do a pressure test or empty housing test before use to ensure you sealed it up properly. It has done quite well at the depth of that video but I just dont want to be taking off the lens unless I really have to and would just leave it in once its there like PA is doing I think.

Not bad! I've got my whole rig together for about $180... Gonna strap it to my nugget and jump in the water next week! I'm EXCITED!

Back
Top Bottom