Gopro Hero 3 waterproof housing backdoor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kreef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I took the plunge and got myself a Gopro hero 3 black edition today, so far I'm really impressed with the video quality of this little camera. There is however one thing which worries me, the backdoor doesn't seal as tight on the left side as it does on the right side (looking at the camera from the front). Thus the gap between the backdoor and the casing is a bit bigger on the left side but the rubber still seals it to prevent any water from entering. I'd just like to find out if it's suppose to be this way due to the hinge being on the right side?

I never noticed it before but mine has the same little gap. It is because of the latch being offset but you should still notice a fair amount off pressure required to close the unit. You should always do a test dive with just the housing to check for any leaks or possible flooding issues before taking the camera down as well.

I never noticed this before either but there is also a slight gap on one side of mine so this is likely as its designed. As Scubafied said above its good to always do a pressure test or empty housing dive prior to using with a camera to ensure the housing has no issues.

Thanks a lot for the replies Scubafied and Marty, I'm glad to hear the slight gap is part of the design and not a defect in my housing :) After testing the housing I went diving with the camera today and I'm really impressed with the underwater video quality, I'll just have to get a filter as the footage has a turquoise tint to it.

Remember, as you descend there is greater pressure on the housing, pushing the back door harder against the housing. Mine closes tighter on one side as well, but as long as it maintains a seal, this won't be a problem as you dive.

Back
Top Bottom