GoPro HERO 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like the Hero 5 was just released, almost as bad as regulators......

Seems like the Hero 5 was just released, almost as bad as regulators......

Unlike regulators, there might be improvements as they seem to have a new processor that can do more.....

I'm out of my realm on this, and curious as to what it might actually be.

Ive been using a Hero 4 Black since just after it came out. Held off on the 5 as the improvements weren't that much over the 4. Im really interested in the 6 due to the improved built in stabilization. I have a gimbal that works great however that doesn't help underwater.

From a quick look at the manual, it seems that the stabilization cannot be used in 4K 60fps which is a bummer. It does seem to be available in 4K 30fps. The biggest drawback to the 5 for me has been the lack of 4K with stabilization, the 6 seems to allow that but I wish it went to the full 60fps.

The manual also states that stabilization is automatically turned off when auto low light kicks in, "to deliver optimal image quality in the dark scene". Could just turn off auto low light of course, but there is something here that sounds relevant for uw video. Hoping to see some dedicated uw reviews soon.

GoPro cameras continue to add features and enhancements. If you consider cost and the added features, you will find justifications to support purchasing any of the different versions available.

- The Hero4 silver was the first to incorporate a built in display.
- The Hero5 introduced image stabilization, higher frame rates than previous versions and offers other features that while not as functional for divers, they are pretty significant such as GPS, voice commands, improved sound recording quality and waterproof for snorkeling.
- The Hero6, for $100US over the Hero5, introduces higher frame rates, new processor and enhanced image stabilization.

Any one of these versions of GoPro cameras offer a good bang for the buck. I don't recall what I paid for the Hero5, but I can't say I got a bad product nor that I have any regrets form getting it. That goes for the 2, 3+, 4black cameras. These are all pretty good products and still work well.

The take home message here is that I don't think you will go wrong getting the Hero6. If price is an issue, then go with the Hero5. Still too much money, the 4Black and even the 3 series will deliver good images.

Cheers,
Ricardo

I jumped from the 3+ to the 5 a year or so ago and just picked up a 6 and their gimbal this past week.

The gimbal is going back. The sound "quality" is still below horrible on the 6. I need a solution that will enable me to capture interviews with AWESOME sound for DEMA this year. The 6 doesn't seem to be the answer I am seeking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom