GoPro Hero2 Rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oerentals

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are a new Board Sponsor and wanted to let you know about our GoPro Hero2 Rental service.

We're trying to save you from having to spend hundreds of dollars for something you may not use that often, but would love to have along. At just a couple dollars a day why not take one on your next trip?

What you get:
Well over $500 worth of equipment, including:

GoPro HD Hero2 camera
Standard waterproof and skeleton housing
A ton of mounts included standard – wrist mount, head mount, helmet mount, chest harness, suction cup mount, roll bar/pipe mount, assorted arms and sticky mounts
Other accessories standard – LCD Bacpac and associated backdoors for standard and wrist mount housings, cigarette adapter, usb cord, 16GB SD card (upgrade available)

How much it costs:
7 days = $39
14 days = $49
21 days = $59
1 month = $69

+ $11 for 2 way shipping (to you and a prepaid UPS return label in the box)

Details and reservations can be made by going to GoPro HD Camera Rentals

*************UPDATE ***************

WE LISTENED!!! We now offer Flat Lens options for the GoPro package:

During reservation you can choose from the following options:

1) Standard housing/lens - $0
2) Mako Flat lens housing - $0
3) BlurFix lens housing - $6
4) Standard and Mako housings - $10
5) Standard and BlurFix housings - $15
5) All 3 housings - $25

Website and Booking Calendar will be updated to reflect this asap. Lens will be available to ship toward the end of the week.

As always - feedback is welcome. We tried to accommodate the diver's need for a lens with options that are both worthwhile for the customer as well as cost effective for us.

Check out the rest of our site including PLB rentals, CO Analyzer rental, EPIRB rental, and more

Brad
Outdoor Equipment Rentals
GoPro Rental| EPIRB Rental | PLB Rental
info@oerentals.com
201-477-0217

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, great business idea! Do you plan on offering any of the 3rd party housings? The reviews I've seen on here of the standard housing isn't too hot, but with several 3rd party options, being able to try them out would be great.

What about offering with a housing that has a flat lens? That would make more sense for those who want to dive with it. Does the rental costs include insurance? What if I rent the camera and the housing floods?

Thanks for the info - that does look like a good option for divers. I'll look into ordering a few and see what I may need to do about pricing.

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming!

If you are targeting divers for rentals. I would recommend the following housing.

Hump - Golem GoPro Camera Housing with port for LCD back

This is really the best housing currently available for divers who want to use the GoPro underwater. The housing fixes the blur issue from the standard GoPro housing and is also made for the pressures of underwater diving. This housing is rated to 500 feet.

Note: I am in no way connected with Golem Gear or this product.

Here are my thoughts right now, let me know what you think.

We'll offer the Mako Flat lense as a housing option, included in our current pricing - so no additional charge, you'll just have to select either that or a regular housing.

Then we'll offer the BlurFix as another option, but will have to charge a bit more for that, say $5-10/wk

BoneCrusher - the Golem is really nice, however at $300 I think that will have to be a later offering, as the up front cost is high, and we'd have to charge quite a bit for it. We'll keep it in mind though - thanks for the input.
This way, someone who just wants to use it for a dive, doesn't want anything fancy, can choose the Mako, but someone who wants to be able to use the camera with lenses, and above water as well can pay a little more and choose the BlurFix. Make sense.

Here are my thoughts right now, let me know what you think.

We'll offer the Mako Flat lense as a housing option, included in our current pricing - so no additional charge, you'll just have to select either that or a regular housing.

Then we'll offer the BlurFix as another option, but will have to charge a bit more for that, say $5-10/wk

BoneCrusher - the Golem is really nice, however at $300 I think that will have to be a later offering, as the up front cost is high, and we'd have to charge quite a bit for it. We'll keep it in mind though - thanks for the input.
This way, someone who just wants to use it for a dive, doesn't want anything fancy, can choose the Mako, but someone who wants to be able to use the camera with lenses, and above water as well can pay a little more and choose the BlurFix. Make sense.

Most people using a GoPro will be using it well within the recreational limits which the original housing is perfectly suited for so a different housing that costs as much as the camera itself it's overkill IMO. I have the mako lens and it works just fine, I'd would highly suggest you include color correction film inserts that can be dropped between the lens and the housing which are fairly cheap. The GoPro is an amazing camera, but it really needs help underwater. It does great on the surface where the water isn't filtering out the sunlight as much. The SRP BlurFix is very good and gives those who want a little more just that. I think your plan is good and the prices are really good. Adding insurance is also very wise.

I am interested in the idea and possibly renting one. I'll be following the thread to see how things develop. :read:

I like the overall rental model and the pricing seems reasonable. Currently, I use a SeaLife DC1000 with a video light. My videos have been ok but could definitely be better (I think someone with more experience could take better video than I do). I have used my uncle's GoPro when bicycling and have found it to be a good rig. With as much as I have invested in the SeaLife my wife wouldn't be a fan of getting another camera rig...but renting one...hmmm that's another story.

I don't know alot about the underwater use for a GoPro but have found many informative threads about them. For essentially $50-60 I will probably give one a rent this Spring/Summer to video some local diving. Thanks for all the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom