GoPro viable filter options... pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Underwater photography with a GoPro (except very shallow depths or using lights) is best with a filter, as I understand it. After a little research, I notice the popular flip filters have water between the camera lens and the filter. There are a number of other types of filters mounts, that appear to easily “trap air” between the camera lens and the filter. Not good right, or on purpose? So how is keeping water out, or air out, managed with these other filter mounts? I haven’t been able to find any related infomation on this, so could someone please explain what’s going on?

I’m interested in a HERO 7 Black, so I’ve been looking into a filter options. I have a bunch of old (quality) filters from some film cameras and wonder if they could repurposed with some kind of adapter. But their use and possible “trapped air” problems is bugging me. Is this a viable approach?

Would love to hear about your experiences and GoPro filter recommendations!

I don't know of any Gopro filters for the UW housing that are not "wet" filters. With the snap-ons, you remove the filter and clear any bubbles and put it back on. If you have a 55mm adapter and lenses you might have to unscrew the lens which is sometimes a pita. With both of these you have to be careful not to drop it unless you are on the bottom or in clear shallow water. With the flip you can just flip open the filter and wipe off any small bubbles or shake gently. At least with the flip you don't have to worry about dropping the filter.

Thankyou @ReefHound, I knew there was a simple answer, I just couldn’t find it. Much appreciated.

Yes I can imagine screw-in filters could be a PITA, but that option allows one to easily carry a wide variety and number of filters for use. I’m questing that’s why using lights underwater is so attractive. Which option do you use?

Thankyou @ReefHound, I knew there was a simple answer, I just couldn’t find it. Much appreciated.

Yes I can imagine screw-in filters could be a PITA, but that option allows one to easily carry a wide variety and number of filters for use. I’m questing that’s why using lights underwater is so attractive. Which option do you use?

Both. My Gopro with dual Flip is on a tray with a pair of lights. I usually set it up as either two shades of red, or one red one macro. I'd like to see some kind of flip system that could carry hold than two filters at a time though.

So your setup is the best of all worlds! Is there a flip system that uses round filters, which would give you the option of having more than two filter options?

So your setup is the best of all worlds! Is there a flip system that uses round filters, which would give you the option of having more than two filter options?

Sorta, Backscatter makes a 55mm adapter (FLIP FILTERS 55MM Filter Holder for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7) that can be attached to their flip system and they sell 55mm filters but that puts you back in the position of changing out 55mm lenses underwater. You'll need to devise a secure way of carrying them and be very careful changing them.

I use this adapter for my two macro lenses but haven't changed them out during a dive. With the 55mm lenses, always unscrew them after the dive and rinse well so they don't lock up. You might want to get this filter wrench (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018I84358?th=1) to make it easier.

Back
Top Bottom