GoPro Warranty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huachele

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Any of you GoPro gurus have any tips on getting GoPro to respond regarding warranty service?

I tried the online form and they said they would get back in 24-48 hours. Well, its been 120 hours and all I got was the auto reply that they received my inquiry.

The camera was given to me as a gift and was bought direct from GoPro. Purchased in September and its a Hero2

Also, do you have any input on my issue? The grey LCD status screen on the front of the camera is blank when the camera is turned on. Sometimes it the display work fine. The battery life is about three minutes.

Last edited:
In most cases customer service does get back inside the 48hrs but not sure what else you can do other then call them if you can.

With your issue it sounds like you may not be charging the camera properly for some reason. Try connect the USB to a USB powered adapter like an iPhone charger or similar. Make sure its off when connected and the led should light up indicating its charging. Wait til the light goes off and that's should indicate a full charge. Getting just 3 minutes out of it does show an issue with either the battery or charging and the LCD not working is likely because the batter is flat.

If its unrelated then you likely have a faulty camera and only go pro can help at that point, was the camera exposed to water at any point?

I have been charging it as you described. I think I got a lemon.

Ill try to find a number to call. Thanks

My mate is having nothing but problems with them. He got a brand new black edition and took it on the live aboard we had a couple of weeks ago. The camera kept corrupting files and locking up below 20m and to make matters worse flooded. I actually saw this happen under water.

He contacted gopro and after a week of waiting they got back to him and said unless he can reproduce the incident they won't honor the warranty of his camera, so I guess they expect him to plan a bunch of dives just to prove the camera was dodgy.

Pretty poor form for a piece of kit costing almost $500

Their warranty/customer support isn't that bad, I just had to use them.

One prong from the mount adapter broke as I was cliping into the mount so I sent them an e-mail, which they responded in 3 days. I sent pictures, serial number and a mailing address on Saturday... and today, Sunday, the same rep. responded and sent me a confirmation/receipt for the free replacement.

I've had nothing but top notch service getting technical questions answered, or things replaced under warrenty, after maybe a 5-10 minute on hold phone call.

They're very very thorough and work hard pleasing their customers.........I mean call them up, many phone numbers right on their website.

Live people are great to talk to instead of text messaging or email.........

My mate is having nothing but problems with them. He got a brand new black edition and took it on the live aboard we had a couple of weeks ago. The camera kept corrupting files and locking up below 20m and to make matters worse flooded. I actually saw this happen under water.

He contacted gopro and after a week of waiting they got back to him and said unless he can reproduce the incident they won't honor the warranty of his camera, so I guess they expect him to plan a bunch of dives just to prove the camera was dodgy.

Pretty poor form for a piece of kit costing almost $500

Flooding any underwater camera won't be covered by warranty unless you can prove there is a defect in the housing, warranty doesn't cover user error but if you can show its the housing that failed then I'm sure they will fully honour the warranty as I have seen in the past with others.

Basic care must be taken with all underwater equipment and improper use may destroy a camera very quickly.

Below quote is from the GoPro Hero3 Black user Manual
Camera assembly

Preventing Water Damage to Your Camera.

The rubber seal that lines the camera housing forms a waterproof barrier that protects your HERO3
in wet and underwater conditions. Keep the camera housing’s rubber seal clean; a single hair or
grain of sand can cause a leak.
After every use in salt water you will need to rinse the outside of the housing
with non-salt water and dry. Not doing this can eventually cause corrosion of the hinge pin and
salt buildup in the seal, which can cause failure.
To clean the seal, rinse in fresh water and shake dry (drying with a cloth may cause lint to
compromise the seal). Re-install the seal into the grooves in the backdoor of the housing.
Warning: Failure to follow these steps each time you use your HERO3 can result in leaks that may
damage or destroy your camera. Your warranty does not cover water damage resulting from user error.

Last edited:
I was not trying to b!tc# about the service. I was curious as the best route to expidite things. Their web site says to email first and they would get back in 24-48 hours. I have heard nothing but good reviews regarding their service.The camera has been out of my house once and it recorded about three minutes of video then went dead. Now the status LCD is blank. As an update I did recharge and recorded for about 20 minutes immediately after it reached a full charge. So it appears that the battery is discharging when the camera is not in use.As I said, i think I just got a lemon. I am sure a bad one slips through quality control every now and then.I will lob in a phone call in a couple of hours and report back.Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom