GoPro Warranty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately relatively cheap electronics made in China are known to have more then one lemon make it off the production line, customer service may be swamped as there are also lots of people that have ordered but supply is very limited still on the blacks. Customer support will be flooded ATM with all that brings along with all the regular support they usually do so trying to give them a call may speed up your process.

Called customer service. after punching in a few numbers to get my call properly routed I was told by a recording that I was caller #13 and it would be 15 minutes before my call would be answered. It was less than ten minutes and I was talking to a human. He was convinced that a firmware update would do the trick and he walked me through it. Said he would email with info on sending the camera in if the update did not work as the camera could be faulty.

The update was unsuccessful. I'll be sending the camera back for warranty work.

Although I am disappointed in the camera not working right out of the box, GoPro appears to be willing to make their customers happy.

I will let you know how the rest of the story pans out.

My original GoPro had to be replaced last year because the charger wouldn't fit the camera. I could not make them understand what the problem was. After approximately 20 e-mails back and forth, I was able to get them to understand the problem by attaching photos to my e-mail. I figured I was dealing with a group of California surfer dudes.

Anyhow, once the problem became clear to them, I send in my camera, insured and tracked by priority mail, I received my new replacement camera within a week. I could not find any other way to communicate with them except e-mail. It was a frustrating experience, but I like my camera and was not going to give up. Since then, I have bought a Wasabi charger kit which came with wall charger, car charger and 2 batteries. I still use the cord supplied with the GoPro on occasion but I like the Wasabi charger better as it is similar to the charger for my Nikons.

They can be a bit slow. Since we have a ton of cameras for rentals, I've had to send in more than a couple for repair or replacement. While the process of emailing back and forth, and the time to get the camera back is a bit slow, they have always fixed or replaced my cameras without issue, so in the end, no complaints from me. I think the longest I've waited after an initial email is maybe 4 or 5 days. So, maybe making another attept is a good idea. I have a feeling with the new Hero3 out now, and the holidays they are probably swamped.

My original GoPro had to be replaced last year because the charger wouldn't fit the camera.

I have no idea what the above means. There's a charger that the camera fits into? Explaining problems via email can be very tough, even over the phone it's hard to pinpoint exactly what people mean. People describe poorly, use unfamiliar terms, misconstrue ideas, etc. Sometimes people are talking about completely different things without either of them realizing it. Photos actually help A LOT, and when I recently called customer service for a flatscreen TV, they sent me a link to upload pictures of the problem, which IMO is a great system. Tech support has a tough job, one I've done before and don't envy.

They can be a bit slow. Since we have a ton of cameras for rentals, I've had to send in more than a couple for repair or replacement. While the process of emailing back and forth, and the time to get the camera back is a bit slow, they have always fixed or replaced my cameras without issue, so in the end, no complaints from me. I think the longest I've waited after an initial email is maybe 4 or 5 days. So, maybe making another attept is a good idea. I have a feeling with the new Hero3 out now, and the holidays they are probably swamped.

I recommend calling to move the process along. Even after the phone call we had to exchange a couple of email. I seemed to get a better response to the emails when I followed up with a phone call.

GoPro appears to be willing to repalce my camera with a new one. Unfortunately I dont think it will be back before I leave for my dive trip.

Their email response time seems to have slipped recently---they hit their 24-48 hour target easily when I got mine earlier this year but have been taking 5 or more days lately, just real busy I think. Once they start interacting with you they respond faster & make a sincere effort to resolve the problem.

I get the impression the support folks kind of "wing it" and aren't always aware of other cases of similar problems. It can help to look about the GoPro section here, and in the GoPro forum Marty Cervan moderates (I'm traveling...Marty can you post a link?), to see if others are having the same problem and the solutions they and/or gopro have come up with---and mention that info when you correspond with GoPro support.

Update on the GoPro warranty. My new camera has arrived. They seemed very willing to make things right.

I think the 24-48 hour email response time is very optimistic. On the web site they advise you email first. My advice is to call. They were very responsive.

Unfortunate that the camera never worked out of the box but they get credit for making it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom