Gordon Rocks in February 2015??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KUFan452

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I'm planning a one-day land based trip out of Pto. Ayora in early February 2015 after I finish a 7 day cruise. I've done enough research to know that I should book with Scuba Iguana. Based on their posted 2014 schedule, my dive will either be Floreana or Gordon Rocks. I've been reading some scary stuff about Gordon Rocks. I dived in some decent current and surge, but I don't love either one. I'm a little apprehensive. I don't really have much experience with serious downward drafts. Originally I was thinking that I might need a reef hook (which I've used in the Maldives), but based on the pinnacle structure of Gordon Rocks and potential down drafts it seems like the hook will be useless. Are they even allowed in the Galapagos? Should I bring it? Is Floreana less advanced?

Also, I want to make sure that I'm prepared. I don't normally get cold diving, but Maui is the coldest place that I've dived. I plan to wear a 3 mm with a Lavacore hooded vest and gloves. For one day, I think a 5 mm will present weighting and buoyancy issues with crazy currents.

I appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

Perfect choice with SCUBA Iguana.

I have done both Gordon Rocks and also the area around Floreana Island. GR is much closer to Pto Ayora so it's a bit less of a crossing.

If I had to pick one, at least from my limited exposure, I would return to Gordon Rocks.

The currents will have nothing to do with your weighting. The dive staff will examine the extant currents as you arrive, and begin to select one of the "paths" that are marked on the above dive briefing chart. They will select the ones that present the easiest due to the serious currents that can do unusual things in the rocky confines of what is left of a long-ago volcanic cone. (see above)

They will then place the boat in a quiet lee of one of the volcanic walls. Take this opportunity to do a quick buoyancy check. We have been there several times, but once a couple who had arrived for some land-based diving in advance of their Aggressor trip were with us. They refused the opportunity for a buoyancy check and went on to perform miserably on the dive.

The SCUBA Iguana DMs know the drill very well. Listen to the briefing, but also understand that they may alter the dive plan once underwater. I see no need for reef hooks, but due to the volcanic rock, lack of Coral and such, there should be no prohibition. For me, and my groups, there has never been a need for anything more than leather work gloves simply to hang on. Some of my participants insisted on wearing their rubber diving gloves which will quickly shred. There are some frequently visited spots where you will literally have to hand-over-hand yourself in a crawl over short expanses on flat lava.

To say you want to dive in the Galloping Pogos but want to avoid currents, lateral and vertical- kind of contradictory. Think of it as a learning experience. Tell the DMs in advance of your lack of experience and apprehension. Stay very close to them. The day-dive option is very appealing as it is very cheap compared to Liveaboards, but understand that even these guys have seen their share of less experienced divers. It is essentially a "Europen backpacker" clientele, so many levels of expertise arrive. (No less so than the Liveaboard guests, but they come with other issues) Either way, the S.I. DMs understand who they might have at their doorstep. Tell them who you are, expect exemplary service and attention far beyond anything you may have seen in the Caribbean as to professional expertise. Still- stay close and do your part.

At Gordon Rocks, we have usually always seen Hammerheads while in the center of the volcanic cone which has a sandy floor at maybe 100fsw depth. You make this dive at between 60-75fsw as you cross from remnants of the conical edges. On the dive I referenced above, the one with the two Aggressor divers, they ran out of air at 40 minutes in, the DM sent them to the surface from 45fsw to the overhead boat. The DM and I continued thru to 1:20 while watching Mobula Rays, then ghosting off watching the Seals work the crashing waves against the cone. I thought we had seen plenty until we saw a Shark stalk and finally get himself a Seal meat dinner. The Aggressor divers were sitting on the boats bitching about something when we returned. We just grinned and said nothing.

Pretty Spectacular stuff, Gordon Rocks. And yes~ it does.

Thanks Doc! It's not that I'm hoping to avoid current or down-drafts. I'm aware that this is a very challenging site and have a very healthy respect for the potential dangers. I'm just trying to prepare myself and determine whether I think it's a challenge that I can handle with 170 dives. Hopefully, I'll have decent bottom time without blowing of the site, dropping to the bottom, shredding anything (thanks for the leather gloves hint), or soiling my wet suit!!! It's the age old question of will the fear and difficulties be worth it? My hope is to see hammerheads. I've been on the 5:30 am dive at Hammerhead Point in the Maldives and saw nada. I'm hoping not to have a terrifying experience and come up short again.

Doc...good map by the guide! The area of Gordon Rocks with down draft is rarely dived actually. Currents are quite strong where you cross inside the pinnacles, pictured in grey in the map. You have to cross them perpendicular. Surge can also be incredibly strong around the pinnacles, so just hold on when it heading against you and glide forward allowing it to move you. A lot depends on your ability to relax and how comfortable you are under the water. Shops do not allow divers with less than 20-30 dives, depending on the shop, to dive Gordon Rocks. Floreana is a nice dive, but like Doc said, you'll spend 4 hrs in transportation, if not more.

PS Doc...I once saw a sea lion chasing a hammerhead at Gordon Rocks...in a playful way. Scared the poor hammerhead to death as they are so skittish anyway. They remind me of thoroughbred horses...hear a twig snap and they run. They are so skittish, you almost want to hold your breath because you know the moment you breathe, the bubbles will scare them away if they're close enough.

Thanks Dive the Galapagos! Your advice is reassuring. I have been in significant surge and current previously. You've reminded me that I was nervous before and did just fine. I've booked and paid for my dives at Scuba Iguana for a day at Seymour and Gordon Rocks. Hopefully this will be the last time I'm worried about dive conditions!

I dove Floreana yesterday and Gordon Rocks today, while Floreana is also interesting, Gordon Rocks blew my mind…. best diving day of my life!

Link is to my blog post about diving Gordon Rocks today and everything I saw :)

http://wp.me/p5fDFr-1k2

Back
Top Bottom